Mental Health Forums

*sighs* Add Another To The Pile

b0bulat0r

So work has had this fantastic idea that they want to run a lunchtime ICT club (don't know whether i mean this or whether i'm being sarcastic can't quite tell), this idea was started by two year 8 students who went to the ICT coordinator who is now branding it as his idea, (hes like that steals the thunder from everyone)

The senior leadership team has approved said idea and wants it to go ahead, only the ICT Coordinator has turned around and said "but I don't actually have time to run it and most days I teach 5 periods a day so only get lunchtime as a free moment to eat my lunch, ooh but Rob can have a flexible lunch surely he'd be able to do it"

I've just been made aware of all this, this morning by being asked if i'd be willing to do this, I umm'ed and then said give me some time to think about it, I got the "well you used to run one years ago" yes I USED to run one, back when I was healthier (mentally)

first you dump Year 5 classes on me and expect me to teach them because your teachers are incompetent, then you want me to run a lunchtime ict club :S,

Why doesn't anyone realize that i'm trying to REDUCE my stress and pressure at the moment not increase it, but now I have the whole "for the children" guilt trip going on thats making my head explode.

God life was so much easier when I didn't give a rats arse about humanity and held the entire race in contempt!.

Gah caring is so annoying because now i feel that i SHOULD try to do this and than it would be good for them even though I really REALLY cant be arsed.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are .... tell them that you can't do it. The reason is, it will impose an unacceptable amount of stress on you by increasing your already high workload. You have mental disabilities that they must take into consideration.

I think you have every right to say no. didnt you say in a different thread you are already doing more than you are paid to do and going outside your job description? you shouldn't have to do this as well. Its a good idea but it should only happen if the school has the staff to cover it and it sounds like they don't. Its good to do things that help the children but not if it means hurting yourself (not literally) to do it.

I totally agree with the othersand tell them No

If the ICT Coordinator wants to have this as a feather in his cap then he can run the bloody thing. As a non teacher (if I remember correctly, sorry if I got that wrong) you shouldn't be running any classes let alone clubs. Its not in your job description where as most teachers have a clause in the contract which states that they will "contribute to the wider life of hte school" i.e. run clubs etc.

You need to put yourself first and it is so easy in schools to be railroaded into doing things "for the good of the children" but they never think of the good of the staff. This is partly why I am currently unemployed as I found it too difficult to say no to the SLT and ended up having a complete breakdown from the over work.

say no and my view you dont have to give a reason either.or thank them for the extra opportunity but you dont feel its the right time at the moment .x

i agree with the others. i think you need to think of your own stress levels here rather than what would benefit the kids. thats not in anyway wrong but i can see why its hard to do, take care xxx

Honestly, just say no. There's nothing they can do about it.

Actually, my tactic at work:

"Arrakis do this this and this and this"

"for all these extra responsibilities I expect I will be going up a paygrade at least?"

"ummmm"

"then no, I won't do it"

Ask for something back and they won't be willing, so you shouldn't be willing either

I think you have to say no! for your own health. (My Occ Health Dr - always said use her as an excuse if people try to dump too much on me.)

When I got conned into running a computer club for our ICT co-ordinator I made sure that I asked him every week what exactly he wanted them to do - and if it wasn't clear enough, say - well they will just have to surf the net, or play games!

Good Luck.

Archived