Mental Health Forums

Have You Had Cbt

Sparko

i had CBT a while ago and somthing about the initial session has been playing on my mind

when i turned up for the first meeting the therapist asked me a long set of questions.... some of them i found quite intrusive, the one that sticks out in my memory was..... have you ever had any unwanted experiences?

to me this seemed a bit much, this was my first meeting with the practitioner and i was already nevious, needles to say i did not want to disclose anything

i would be gratefull to hear other peoples experiences ....

Spark

No sorry sparko I havent had cbt but this does seem a bit intrusive, I think they could have worded it better do you think they were trying to see if there was any abuse/trauma that could put you at risk during the sessions?

i dont know why they asked this amongst other questions

the whole experience was not great and i didnt find the therapy helpful at all.... i have heard good reviews about CBT tho so im wondering if it was this particular therapist :confused02:

I keep hearing great things about CBT. I just started going myself. Tomorrow is my 2nd session. She uses a subtype of CBT called Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy. I am on board with alot of what she said, and I am trying to remain open to the benefits, but I still have some mixed feelings as far as whether or not it is going to help. I just want to learn how to deal with the emotional pain when it hits, better than I have been dealing with it up to this point. Though I have gotten better at dealing with it, I feel there is still room for more improvement.

She did not ask me that question about any unwanted experiences. If she had, I would have been okay answering her, b/c I've learned that therapists are better able to help you, when you are completely honest with them and bare all, no holds barred.

If you felt uncomfortable with the therapist, I would suggest either giving it more time to see how the relationship develops; or, if your gut is really telling you it's not a good fit, just find someone else. It's a shame when we've had a bad therapy experience and it stops us from seeking available help elsewhere. I honestly don't know how some people get through some of their struggles, without therapy or some kind of treatment. But I do understand how a bad experience can leave a bad taste in our mouths for a long time to come.

the whole experience was not great and i didnt find the therapy helpful at all.... i have heard good reviews about CBT tho so im wondering if it was this particular therapist :confused02:

It could be the wrong therapist but it could also be that you weren't a "good fit" for CBT. I've had it and I didn't find it helpful although I found the sessions helpful in a general sense because the therapist "got me" and I trusted the therapist. CBT doesn't suit everyone.

I've never had cbt but i have had a few different counselors and therapists and having the wrong therapist can really effect things in a bad way. if you can its better to give it as long as you can just in case they can become the right therapist but sometimes it just doesnt happen. Its also unfortunately true that not every kind of therapy suits everyone, we are all different and some therapy styles and therapists adapt to suit each client better than others xxx

Archived