Mental Health Forums

Diazepam

*debz*

Hi, i have been given some today by the doc to help calm me down have never taken it before and was wondering if anyone else has taken this and what its like, also i have to drive tomorrow does it make you still feel groggy in the morning!

Hey, what dosage do you have? I've never found it makes me groggy the next day when taking small doses. Hope it does help to calm you down, it should do, its about the only thing that helps me when I work myself up into a state. xx

Yes I take this occassionally though I couldn't say if it makes me feel groggy because I often feel groggy! I mostly take mine during the day if I'm overly anxious and I do find it calms me down - in a numbing way. I don't drive at the moment but if I was I'd probably only drive the day after taking it and not after minutes/couple hours.

hi thanks for the replies

shadow its 5mg, going to take first one tonight as i dont have to drive tomorrow and see how it goes

she gave me some zopiclone too, but dont think i will be touching them unless i really have to after reading

some of the other forums on this stuff.

Hi Debz,

The doctor prescribed me 14, 2mg tablets last month to take "as when required". I was incredibly anxious and depressed before starting back at uni, and needed something to take the edge off.

I take them now and again when I havent been able to sleep or feel on edge and anxious. I had one last night, but may take another tonight, as starting to get a bit agitated by this guys dog that wont stop barking in the flat below.

I had one last night and I slept really well right through the night. Although when I got up this morning, I did stagger around a bit; I felt so dizzy and lightheaded. I felt like that until mid morning at uni, so will try and be careful with them.

I drive as well, though not when at uni. I'd be cautious when driving with them; if you felt like I did this morning, I would advice you talk to your doctor beforehand to see if it is safe to first. x

Hey thank you

I have 14 to take as an when needed too, thanks for the advice about driving i was a bit worried so decided to leave it till

i know how they will effect me

you say you slept really well, so im looking forward to getting some sleep with them tonight. x

Yeah, but I am also on Fluoxitine anti-depressants, so it could be them working as well, as they do make me tired if I take them during the day.

However, I wouldnt be despondant about what I just said; Diazepam is widely used in patients undergoing operations as a "pre med" to help calm them and make them feel more relaxed. It's a muscle relaxant, so you should generally just feel quite calm enough to sleep with them anyway :)

i take either 2mg or 4mg 'as and when required' too... I have been suffering with awful panic attacks and they do seem to take the edge off.... I have these for over a year now and my doctor is happy to perscribe them as i dont 'use' them too often... although a couple of time i havetake 2mg just before bed to help have a proper full nights sleep when i know ive got a few busy days coming up (as i feel being well rested helps cut down on the anxieity) Is it anxiety/panic attacks you have been given them for?

hi thanks for the replies

shadow its 5mg, going to take first one tonight as i dont have to drive tomorrow and see how it goes

she gave me some zopiclone too, but dont think i will be touching them unless i really have to after reading

some of the other forums on this stuff.

Hi debz,

I think you're wise giving the zopiclone a miss with the driving. I would too :). Although I do prefer it to diazepam for getting a good night's sleep.

hi yes anxiety is what she has given them too me for, how weird though a couple of months ago i was in crisis with the mental health team and saw a

medic from there team and he never gave me anything when i felt i really needed something, went to my doctor yesterday and

she couldnt give me enough to help me sleep lol

now im really confused should i take the diazepam or zopiclone for a good night sleep :unsure:

Debz, if you're still up I'd recommend trying the diazepam first. I'm sure everyone is different but my main sleep problem was frequent waking. So 5mg diazepam was fine for getting me to sleep but I'd wake up a couple hours later and not be able to get back to sleep but not want to take any more diazepam. Zopiclone essentially knocks me out so I don't wake up!! Or if I do get woken up (by daughter) I can get back to sleep again usually no problem. Good luck :)

i have never taken anything other than the diazepam.... I am also on beta blockers and the pharmasist and doctor advised against taking anything else (like sleeping pills) that would slow my heart down.

The diazepam was given mainly for when i have a bad attack.... i just use them sometimes if im a little jittrery (mainly cause im worried/tense about something) and need a good sleep and my body/muscles to unwind and relax a bit... for me they are defo not to be taken everynight or used for a long term sleeping plan

i take mirtizipine 30mg and 5mg escitrolpram the mirtizipine use to help me with the sleep but now feel it doesnt do anything

my sleep pattern is awful not going to sleep most nights till 2-3 things going round and round in my head like you i suffer with anxiety

the last week its been off the roof, so doctor gave me the diazepam. will try one tonight and see how it goes but will take your advice and not use them

every night. i have some zopiclone to try but dont really want to use them unless i really really have to xx

Hiya

I have taken diazepam and zopiclone and i found that the diazepam was good for anxiety but the zopiclone helped with sleep. Personally i found that taking both made me feel very drowsy for a few hours when i woke up.

The best long term med that has helped me with anxiety and insomnia is trazadone which is an anti-depressant. I am pretty resistent to most that i have tried but this works well when taken in the evening.

Archived