Mental Health Forums

Counselling Appointment

jam-parker

I haven't posted for myself in some time, alot of things have happened and I am unable to talk about them publicly. However I have finally got an appointment for counselling and this is just concerning myself so here I am putting it down.

I have an appointment at 3.30 for counselling today and until now i have felt fine about it. Looked forward to it even, as it has been a long time coming. I was contacted by the team last friday and through various missed calls (me) and uncollected messages (them) it took a few days to arrange it.

I have only spoken with them briefly through the phone so I am getting really nervous as I don't quite know what to expect and my mind is racing with what should be discussed. I hope I can get the right things across and I hope I don't clam up. My biggest fear is that they tell me I am making something of nothing and that I am a fake.

I hope it goes well but I am feeling very nervous about it, I can feel it in the pit of my stomach.

Thanks for reading.

Jamie

xxx.

Jamie, I really hope the appointment goes well and is helpful to you. I think its normal to be nervous, I definitely always worry people are going to turn round and call me a fake but no one ever has and I'm 100% sure they won't say that to you either. I'm sure they will be used to people being nervous and will try to put you at ease - could you take a small list of bullet points for yourself, maybe the main 'issues' you want to tackle? Let us know how you get on, will be thinking of you :) xxx

Hi jamie

I can understand your anxiety cos the day is finally here after all that waiting and suddenly you dont know where to start.

maybe write a few things down before you go, maybe just some basic starting points, if not just go with the flow your councellor should be experienced enough to help you thru the session, im sure he/ she will be asking basic questions for the 1st time any way.

and dont worry if you get to a point where u cant say anythin, it happens alot with us, but our T usually helps us with changing the subject and trying to get us focused on something else instead of an awkward silence.

good luck hun hope it goes well xxx PLxxx

Hi Jamie

I think the anxieties that you are feeling are completely natural before starting counselling. I really hope that it goes well for you xx

I hope it went ok Jamie, i hope your counsellor is nice and easy to talk to but don't worry if there was anything you didnt or couldnt say, you should have lots of sessions so you should have time to get to everything, you don't have to do everything all at once in the 1st session and i'm sure they understand its really hard

Thank you Shadow, Prowling Lioness, Cats and LHEmma,

I didn't know what to expect so I chose not to prepare and just see how it turned out considering I have never had counselling before and I didn't know what to expect.

The counsellor was very nice, she seemed a little timid and we went through a quick disclaimer about confidentiality and also a CORE sheet (no idea what it stands for) and then she said what would I like to talk about which put me on the spot I mentioned about recent events and also said there is history and she asked what would i like to focus on and so I chose the recent events and talked from there. I can't go into detail but at one point she did exclaim about how i have been through alot. It was alright actaually I felt a little teary early but focused on the facts more than anything else. And she asked questions at certain points.

It went well she asked me at the end how I felt and I said Numb. Since going my mood has rollercoasted a little and I have felt mixed up and a little weepy at times. But it is good to talk as Bob hoskins once exclaimed.

So the next session is booked for next Friday at 4.30 I'll be there or be square :)

Jamie

xxx.

p.s. Shadow thank you for your thoughts and will do. :)

I'm glad it went ok Jamie. a lot of people feel emotional after counselling sessions especily the first one, maybe its partly just the relief of being able to talk about it as its not something youve really been able to talk about before, at least not the emotional side. i'm glad your counsellor seems nice. counselling isnt always easy but i'm sure in the long run it will help you feel better xxx

I'm glad it went ok Jamie. a lot of people feel emotional after counselling sessions especily the first one, maybe its partly just the relief of being able to talk about it as its not something youve really been able to talk about before, at least not the emotional side. i'm glad your counsellor seems nice. counselling isnt always easy but i'm sure in the long run it will help you feel better xxx

Thanks LHEmma, I have started by talking about the events of the last year and didn't really focus on the emotional side to start with it did go well. I a definitely going to keep it up, having someone to talk with is of benefit and although I have been a little emotional at times, I have felt a little better as a result. :)

Thanks Again

Hugs

Pleased to hear that it went well and I hope it continues to do so xx

Thanks Cats, I have my next appointment today at half four so I am again feeling a little nervous and its a bit of a jumble in my head but this week I have been waiting for it. So I see that as a good sign.

Thank you so much.

:bigarmhug[1]:

Jamie

xxx.

How'd it go today? Hope it was ok. Look after yourself this evening - its normal to feel a bit wobbly for a bit after counselling.

• 2 weeks later...

You'll be in your counselling session now - hope it's going well and is helpful xx

Cats, Apologies for not replying sooner, it was a strange session, a couple of hours before one of my housemates turned around to me and said he was suicidal and in a really bad way. I talked with him for a while and did what i could to help him. So when I went to the session the dominant conversation was about what was happening to him and how I can help him. I was really worried at the time.

How'd it go today? Hope it was ok. Look after yourself this evening - its normal to feel a bit wobbly for a bit after counselling.

Thank you Shadowgirl, Sorry I haven't replied before now. It was odd (see above) but it's an ongoing process so will see how it all goes over time. You are right it is a little difficult because it stirs up alot of the feelings involved.

well in for going for these appointments jamie xxxxxxxxxxxx i know it hurts xxxxxxxxx

Thanks fedup, sorry about the delay, I haven't had an appointment last week as the counsellor was away. Turned out well though as I was away for the week too so I had an extra lovely day to enjoy. So this Friday it all starts up again. I have thought about what I wish to discuss to try and move forwards and get the benefits out of it.

Thank you so much for your replies.

:grouphug[1]:

Jamie

xxx.

Archived