Mental Health Forums

Finally Going To Group Therapy

canadianbumble

Well finally I am going to get some therapy. I have been waiting over two years. I've dropped everything to go to this. It's group Therapy and now I'm really shitting myself. Not just about the Therapy but what will happen If I can't find cover although people have said they will help me? How is this going to affect my family if I come home all confused? What happens when I'm in a bad space and have to drive home? feel like they'll see me as an imposter like there's no way my problems can be that serious. What if I zone out, or if other me takes the reins? Worried to be seen as no good. I guess I should just stop thinking about it. What if I'm still screwed up afterwards everyone I know will just be super-frustrated with me. I wish I could just see that finally someone out there want's to help me. I need to get my head in the frame of mind that it will be great, that I will cope and learn new skills to rip me out of myself.

Hi Bumble,

Its great that you have got the chance for T , i understand your questions and doubhts about it tho'.

Is it 'real' DBT- i.e group + individual? Or another type of T?

I hope your family/friends can help you out re: covering, now that you know you're getting it, could you check times / dates and

pencil in a schedule for when you will not be available.

Really happy for you, but understand the worries of how your head will be, i am sure they would not let someone home in distressed state(?)

xx am

Hey Kitteh It's a group that addresses emotional issues. It's not as in depth as DBT and there shouldn't be quite as much homework. It's a group therapy yikes, but I don't know much more than that I didn't know what to ask or say, but she said it doesn't effect my position for the long DBT course. Had two positive emails one from my Aunt and another from a friend who said they would cover me. I am of course catastophising, which is one type of thinking I should really challenging.

It's brilliant you've got this opportunity after two years of waiting. It's understandable that you are scared but hopefully it won't be so scary once you've been the first time. x

Archived