Mental Health Forums

Anorexics Staying 'healthy'

MeMyself&I

Well, finally found this forum again, after m computer lost the link!

So, I have a question.

Clearly, being anorexic means you are not healthy, but I would love to know how many anorexics remain relatively healthy. By that, I mean, maintaining the energy to regularly exercise, and to keep your hair on!!

I have become too weak and tired to do any real exercise, I do look after quite a few anuimals, and a lazy, messy OH and a home, but very slack with all these days. Also, my hair is now falling out by the handful. On advice from medics, I now take a good quality vit/min supplement and have been for over six months, I also take Zinc for general immunity boost and hair growth.

Does the average anorexic take supplements and what of? My diet is very healthy in that it consists of high volumes of fruit and veg, plus I ensure a little (probably not enough) regular, dairy/fats/meat/fish.

I would appreciate knwwoing what if any supplements other anorexics take/recommend, I rather like having hair!

...i'm sorry, i may have misunderstood, but to me this post sounds like it would fit more in a pro-ana setting than somewhere geared to recovery from EDs as this forum is.....

I hope you have support and are able to overcome your issues and manage your unhealthy eating patterns, rather than searching for tips and tricks to disguise the damage. Wishing you the best. xx

Anorexia is a illness so if you are suffering with this illness you are unwell and will have symptoms as you described. The best thing is to see your doctor find out what you need to eat and how much so you can be well and healthy. If your periods have stopped then you may be putting your fertility at risk. The proteins you are lacking you need for your teeth and bones. xx

Good to know and well done. Try eating more fish it is low fat and high protein. Tuna is versatile and relatively cheap in tins. Fresh fish can be expensive. Just looked up and hair loss is down to vitamin A. Suggested foods high in vitamin A are salmon, spinach and broccoli. xx

It is good to hear you do want to recover, sounds like you are already suffering quite bad with the adverse side affects of anorexia. You mentioned the medics have supplied you with some sort of vitamins? Looking into what else can keep you healthy seems very pro - recovery. I can only suggest maybe talking to a medic again and asking if there is anything else you can be doing, as I am sure you are doing the best you can regards to eating. Good luck, keep us posted in your recovery. xxx

Although exercise is helpful in mood disorders, it probably isn't a good idea to start an exercise regime as an anorexic. I used to have ED myself and exercise in itself can become part of your weight loss regime - you may find yourself feeling guilty if you don't do it - etc.

You only need to be active for maybe 15 minutes a day to get the mood effects. Most of it is being outside and just getting some endorphins flowing. You want to make sure you're not using too much energy as well. If you're in the first stages of recovery, the very last thing you want to do is lose weight. A 15 minute walk is what I would recommend, as this should make you feel better without having an affect on your weight.

Do you have an eating plan to wean yourself back up to a healthy meal size? I got over it by myself so I don't know what professionals recommend.

I'm sure you know as well as we do that the reason you are so unwell is because you have been through a period of starvation. The only way to get your hair and energy back is to improve. You could try taking whatever supplements your doctor advises, but be aware that the supplements themselves will not stop the hair loss or other symptoms. For that, you need to be eating properly, but it is good that you are trying to do so.

Good luck

Archived