Mental Health Forums

Telogen Effluvium - Please Tell Me It Gets Better

Bigmouth_strikes_again

I had something of a meltdown in July and stopped eating, then I ate barely anything for many weeks. I've slowly worked up to four small meals a day (= 1,000 cals in total). In September my hair started shedding, it's gotten worse and worse.. Now I dread washing my hair cos it's falling out by the handful and getting thinner and thinner. I am absolutely devastated and terrified. I am getting loads of vitamins and minerals in my diet and have switched to organic hair products.

I just need some reassurance, my biggest nightmares have always been losing my teeth and losing my hair.. and now it's actually happening. I don't want to see any doctors, I don't believe in conventional medicine.

Please someone tell me success stories, tell me it won't last forever..

Hey

Sounds really tough the things you have been experiencing. Just wanted to say well done, and be proud of yourself for trying to do something about it, increasing your meals a bit will most definitely help. You mentioned you are not a fan of conventional medicine, is there something else you have thinking of? I am sure there are many vitamin and mineral supplements out there, might be worth researching it? Really hope things improve for you, it must be so hard to experience hair loss.

Pie

((((Bigmouth)))) I doesn't last forever and some psyche meds can cause hairloss. I had it terribly for about 6months and had to have my hair cut into long bob as looked all wispy and that. It was depakote (semi-sodium valporate) that did it to me.

(((Bigmouth))) So sorry you've been going through this. But I sertanly think thaty you have to talk to a doctor about this. Why don't you believe in medicine? Sometimes it's the only way to get help. xxx

Btw, love your avatar, I adore Morrissey. :)

I have this too at the moment I take a moodstabilizer since I've taken it my hair has fallen out badly. I have a short bob now because it looks so bad. I heard a mixture of coconut oil and aloe vera may help?

(((Bigmouth)))

I'm glad you are eating more. I need inspiration to do so as well. I also shy away from conventional medicine. Here is maybe a strange idea, but it worked with our horses. We fed them gelatin mixed into their bran mash to grow their coats and their hooves. Gelatin, including Jello-brand, is made of keratin protein, same as hair, nails, ---and hooves! ;-)

love,

cat

Hair loss can happen as a result of few calories but it isnt permenant so if you try to get up to a healthy calorie intake it will stop.

but if you cant then just remember it isnt permenant. Like, I am afraid,the menopuase which does effect hair loss and hair growth.

hope that helps, I know because I have done the cambridge diet in the past where you only have 600cals a day x

Archived