Mental Health Forums

Sleep Clinic

canadianbumble

Last night I went to the sleep clinic. I wasn't sure what to expect. Anyway it was a bed in a cell like room. No windows. I got there for 9pm and this guy attached loads of electrodes to my head. Blinking wires everywhere and pulse monitor. My pulse was at 120 apparently that = very stressed out. Then told to go to sleep, yeah right with a camera on me and an infared camera. Freaked me right out as I thought I was seeing shadows move in the corners of the room. I had to lie on my back most of the time because of all the wires. It took me what seemed an eternity to get to sleep. Then I woke every couple of hours it seemed. Also I didn't have enough water by my side I get really dehydrated. I had my arms and legs go numb at various points to I had to bash them around a bit to get the circulation going. Needless to say when they woke me up at 6 I felt like s##t. When I got home I was so exhausted that I went to sleep for another hour before I opened the shop.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a sleep test and what the findings were. I have to wait 3 weeks for the results. I am kind of hoping they will have some useful info for me since my random sleep is really tiring me out and getting me down.

I've often wondered how these places work. I have wondered how the sleep people get an accurate study of the patients but I assumed they must try and make the setting as natural as possible - seems I was wrong!

I hope they can help.

Toast xx

my dad has had sleep tests, he says it feels like he doesnt get any sleep there but they say he does sleep for 2-3 hours. and anyone feels like they've had no sleep when they sleep for 2-3 hours!

I dont know much about the results but i know they found out he has a condition that makes him stop breathing and that wakes him up so he can start breathing again, then he falls back to sleep usually without realising he's awake but it does have an effect. He was stopping breathing several times a minute. now he wears a mask at night and that keeps him breathing so he stays asleep so he's less tired. it also solves his snoring problem, he used to snore really loud and now he only snores when he's not wearing his mask. He does also sleep less during the day because hes not as tired

Archived