Mental Health Forums

'enablers'

lauraw2693

Does anyone have any experience of how this works in terms of direct payments and mental health problems?

Everyone seems concerned about my driving and the DVLA are contacting my psych so I'm scared my licence will be taken away. My cpn is putting in an application for direct payments to pay for an 'enabler' - to get the train to where my therapist lives, wait while I'm in therapy and get the train back with me. Don't think it can be my normal support worker as that would take 4 hours out of her day.

Has anyone had anything similar set up? It would mean meeting someone else new but as long as its safer I guess.

No not really :confused02: I guess its like a support worker but for a specific task, they'd technically be employed by me and I'd have to pay them with the direct payments I receive, if I do.. I think?! xxx

yes thats how it works, you get a payment for the hours and pay someone your self or maybe they will ley you pay for a taxi. you might get some issues with your eligibility I e is a health or social care need and why cant you go o public transport, your cpn seems quite optomistic so I hope it works out. If you need more advice pm me as know a fair amount about about direct payments

Okay I will do thank you Christine :) She said she'd shown her manager and they thought it was worth applying so that sounds quite hopeful I guess? Do you know how long a decision takes once its gone to the board? xx

Archived