Mental Health Forums

Most Sickening Website On Bpd - Or Most Useful?

Elke

I reported her website here: stigmabusters@nami.org. Dont think it will help much, but I felt I had to do something.

I found this here: About.com: http://www.nami.org/template.cfm?section=fight_stigma

At the bottom it says "You are our eyes and ears" and the email to report.

It got to me more than I thought it would. I had to give it a try.

I cant believe there are people with BPD still turning to her for advice.

Elke

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't gone on the site, I know what it will do to me.

I do know how it feels to be so angry, upset, FURIOUS, when we read this bullshit.

Please, take care of yourselves.

Toast xx

I try an say every 100 people say some shit about bpd being evil and that there is at least 1 that knows that truth that evil is not bpd and bpd is not evil . This old bitch is just not worth it.

arrrgh i keep going back to it because i know it'll make me angry and i wanna know what rubbish she's spouting next..... i must be addicted to my triggers!

I reported her website here: stigmabusters@nami.org. Dont think it will help much, but I felt I had to do something.

I found this here: About.com: http://www.nami.org/template.cfm?section=fight_stigma

At the bottom it says "You are our eyes and ears" and the email to report.

It got to me more than I thought it would. I had to give it a try.

I cant believe there are people with BPD still turning to her for advice.

Elke

Well done for reporting this Elke.

When you did this post and i read it and wondered if there was somewhere that this kinda stuff can be reported, so thanks for alerting us but also about that NAMI site cos i so often read inacurate stuff about mh in general let alone BPD so it's great to know that there is somewhere we can report this to.

This kinda stuff makes me so angry, but now i feel i can do summat positive about it when i read/see that kinda stuff by reporting it so it doesn't just keep building up in me and winding me up.

So a big thanks for making me feel empowered Elke :)

x

arrrgh i keep going back to it because i know it'll make me angry and i wanna know what rubbish she's spouting next..... i must be addicted to my triggers!

Can understand that annielou. It gets one all wound up. Yeah, I guess it is a trigger, but its an outrageous reality this kind of site. An eye opener to the kind of stuff floating around on the web and ultimately having a really negative effect on how people see BPD.

x Elke

I've sent the following letter to editors of "The Advocate" LGBT magazine and the LA Weekly:

Dear Editor,

I am a Southern California resident who has long been an informal advocate of LGBT rights. When I stumbled upon the website of Los Angeles "life strategist" Shari Shreiber, I was disgusted to find the following article:

http://www.sharischreiber.com/lesbian.html

This article is fraught with lesbian-bashing Freudian ignorance and pseudo-psychiatric mumbo jumbo. It basically accuses all lesbians as having some form of Borderline Personality Disorder. It also states that mentally ill mothers are the cause of lesbians and Transgendered Persons. It contains many ignorant stereotypes and at least one offensive, bigoted "joke".

Not only is this article inflammatory and incorrect, it does a double-duty of bashing people who actually DO suffer from BPD, an extremely painful mental health condition arising out of abuse/neglect trauma. In another article, she goes so far as to say that living with a person suffering from BPD--and by deduction, all lesbians!--will give you cancer!

I hope that your staff and readers will do what they can to stop Ms. Shreiber's vindicative spreading of such terrible misinformation.

Sincerely,

pie and I haven't looked at this site but I have just been telling her what I know from here, that she is homophobic, a female but a female hater as well - pie just pointed out that she must hate herself as well then!

'I have borderline pd - i am not a borderline, i am not my diagnoses, i am a person with a diagnoses. i am also a student, a partner, a counsellor, a volunteer, a friend, a lover, an artist... you seem to be struggling with some black and white thinking yourself in the sense you seem to have pigeon holed all people with bpd and lesbians into the same box. its a shame you seem to dislike women so much - you can't like yourself very much then.

when you state 'truth', that is the truth for you - truth and opinion differ greatly. this email is my truth, probably a truth you do not agree with.

as a counsellor i do not profess to know it all - quite the opposite. you seem to feel a need for followers and for people to like you, almost worship you. it must be sad for you to have this need.

i hope you can learn to like yourself without the validation and admiration of others. '

i know i shouldnt have - but hehehe :)

Only in America (or possibly Iran) could someone with such biased, loathing and vitrolic views would have an audience.

In my experience, those who are gay/lesbian haters (homophobes) tend to be closeted themselves, transferring their own hatred of what they cannot deal with onto others.

I don't get racists, misogynists, homophobes etc........they must be constantly KNACKERED!!!!

The world is and will continue to be wonderfully, beautifully diverse until the end of time. People who have a problem with that must not be able to sleep! They must be bitter, twisted and furious that, despite their bitching and hateful attitudes, the world just keeps on turning regardless.

Live and let live! The alternative leaves you with an ulcer :masked: !

Love to everyone xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I got as far as "Being in love with a Borderline means you're trapped in chaos"...says it all really.

The trouble with Vampires is that they can't see their own reflection in a mirror.

Anybody with an ounce of training in these areas knows and respects the 6 core concepts of Carl Rogers - I can't even see one, so I wouldn't worry too much about them becoming overly qualified in the area.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to take it to heart...you end up being sucked into their black hole, which from the overview and horrific responses, sounds like a really shitty place to be, a place of hurt, fear and rejection - the poor sod - sounds like they need some RELATE therapy and a few lessons on the dangers of passive aggression.

The best way to defend against such creatures, is to do what they can't, which in most cases is just to let it go...

I'm guessing that the subscription to this is largely from people jilted in similar ways, people looking for excuses to validate their own disillusions and above all else, from people you probably wouldn't want to associate with anyways...

If you want to suggest anything to this person, suggest that they undertake the "Knowledge and Understanding Framework" training, which will hopefully enable them to see that interaction is a two way process.

KX

I think all the gushing letters she's received aren't from real people, I reckon it's just her. Some of the things she says are laughable, but knowing that some people may read her articles and think she's right just makes me angry. What a completely delusional woman. "Life strategist" - says it all really. She's the narcissistic one. Oh, you're so inspirational, you're so informative, you've turned my life around!

Sure, dear. Unless I get proof that there's actual people out there saying those things, I'll just assume that you're so desperate for validation that you write imaginary letters to yourself. :lmaosmiley:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I read what you said about this woman then went to her site. this is what i sent her :-

I have read some of your articles on BPD .You are very sure of yourself. Do you know what it is actually like to have BPD? Sure! you will come up with a smart answer. The articles are a mix of fact and the fiction of a biased mind .You do not say that there are different levels of the condition. What you are doing is whipping up hatred for people who are already embattled.

As you will have guessed I am a BPD . No!! I am a human being ,a personality but thanks to your bias, people like me will be affected by your suggested strategys to deal with us .You of all people should have compassion and I see very little of it in your writings and advice. How can you set yourself up to judge anyones relationships at a distance or give advice that could split a relationship ,just because your high opinion was listened to

.Have you heard of 'Walk a mile in my shoes'

You could do so much good in the world .

Lookin the mirror and question yourself ,judge yourself before you judge others harshly.Remember that BPDs are humans not tags each one different each with a story of how they got like they are. I do not go out to hurt ,Neither am I unable to empathise infact I am too good at it.Pain is something that we understand ,make no mistake! I ask you to rethink ,some of the more sensative of us could be driven further towards the edge by your rash and cruel words.

If you are so 'Up yourself' you will be sure you are right and be indignant that an ignoramouse like me (with all the falts of BPD you list ) should dare to question, you who has spent years learning your profession and know it all.

It is a sorry world when a person like you allows themselves to vilify people who are vulnerable.I would have expected more from you .

I read some of her stuff and sent her this :-

I have read some of your articles on BPD .You are very sure of yourself. Do you know what it is actually like to have BPD? Sure! you will come up with a smart answer. The articles are a mix of fact and the fiction of a biased mind .You do not say that there are different levels of the condition. What you are doing is whipping up hatred for people who are already embattled.

As you will have guessed I am a BPD . No!! I am a human being ,a personality but thanks to your bias, people like me will be affected by your suggested strategys to deal with us .You of all people should have compassion and I see very little of it in your writings and advice. How can you set yourself up to judge anyones relationships at a distance or give advice that could split a relationship ,just because your high opinion was listened to

.Have you heard of 'Walk a mile in my shoes'

You could do so much good in the world .

Lookin the mirror and question yourself ,judge yourself before you judge others harshly.Remember that BPDs are humans not tags each one different each with a story of how they got like they are. I do not go out to hurt ,Neither am I unable to empathise infact I am too good at it.Pain is something that we understand ,make no mistake! I ask you to rethink ,some of the more sensative of us could be driven further towards the edge by your rash and cruel words.

If you are so 'Up yourself' you will be sure you are right and be indignant that an ignoramouse like me (with all the falts of BPD you list ) should dare to question, you who has spent years learning your profession and know it all.

It is a sorry world when a person like you allows themselves to vilify people who are vulnerable.I would have expected more from you .

I was on her twitter page. She wrote "I have been receiving a lot of letters from Borderlines who have been calling me cruel. Well let them fu** go somewhere else to find out about BPD!"

I was on her twitter page. She wrote "I have been receiving a lot of letters from Borderlines who have been calling me cruel. Well let them fu** go somewhere else to find out about BPD!"

I didn't have twitter but made an account just now just to see her page. (Not that she's done my head in or anything lol) In reply to her above statement I put

@PsychSavant Have you considered therapy for your bitterness? From a QUALIFIED and EDUCATED therapist. Try it, you may feel better.

I know I shouldn't have and to be honest she probably thrives on knowing she has upset others especially people with bpd. But she may wake up one day with a realisation that she really is just a bitter fake and stop what she is doing?

I really think she should have her website and twitter account investigated. It's blatant hatred for people with bpd and if she spoke about minority groups like that she could be charged with hate crime.

Archived