Mental Health Forums

Eating Less

Sparko

Hey Guys

Im not tryna be pro ED i just generaly dont understand this.....

why do people say that not eating enough wont make you loose weight?

im no good at science but surley if you put in less energy than you use then you will loose weight?

is that not the theory behind calorie counting?

im sorry if this seems stupid to people, im confused about this one..... i mean are they just saying it to make you eat?

Spark

Hi,

I think when they say this they mean not eating enough, i.e starvation. Because the body holds on to every bit of food that goes into it and keeps all of the calories. As you get further into an Ed the the weight loss slows down. And I imagine that is why people say it.

If someone were to start a 'normal' diet and originally ate 2500 calories a day and cut their intake safely down to 1500 then they will lose weight. Calorie counting for healthy people is all about input and output. And they do lose weight.

It's very different for people on a diet compared to people with Eds. The body reacts differently in so many ways.

Has somebody said this to you because they are concerned about you?x

Thanks for replying

Someone said this to me yes, because im not good right now im not eating much but i dont care cuz i want to loose weight.

i understand its not a long term answer tho.....

Spark

from my experience of not eating the weight drops off quickly at first, then every single thing you eat adds ridiculous amounts of weight back on to the point where you cant even have a biscuit cos you put on a pound. so yeh not really a long term answer like you said, hope you feel better soon xx

This is something i have been thinking about loads lately and have read loads saying the same i think it worries me as part of me is thinking about recovering but if that means that i will put on more than a normal weight cos of metabolism then i cant bare to try. I hope you feel better soon sorry no hope im in a similuar mine set x

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys

Im not tryna be pro ED i just generaly dont understand this.....

why do people say that not eating enough wont make you loose weight?

im no good at science but surley if you put in less energy than you use then you will loose weight?

is that not the theory behind calorie counting?

im sorry if this seems stupid to people, im confused about this one..... i mean are they just saying it to make you eat?

Spark

I actually always wondered this myself. I would love to find out the answer as at the moment i personally think it is something said just to make you eat. But because i have eating problems i find if i don't eat i do actually loose more weight then eating a bit. But regardless of that it's still incredibly important to eat.

Hi there, depends on body and on hormones. I have PCOS so when I'm a little overweight it's hard to break that weight barrier however when I'm thinner it's easier to maintain it at that lower level. Depends on the person and lifestyle and that x

I also get confused by this and it stops my recovery from fear ill end up worse then when all this started. Its a tough one being healthy and happy i guess is the answer. Wish you all well

i had many issues around eating and used to do anything that meant i lost weight and maintained control of that, wanted to change and knew it wasnt good for me (starving myself) but the fear of that change was massive and the fear of putting on weight was even bigger. In the last couple of months i decided enough was enough and felt ready to face my fear and have been amazed at the outcome. Eating more and more regularly has infact resulted in me losing a lot of weight which i have spent years striving to do and felt under enormous pressure to maintain. My attitude has changed completely towards food now as i know when i dont eat it makes me more vulnerable to my emotions and how ever low im feeling i still ensure i eat. (if someone had said to me a while back that i would ever overcome my battle with food and weight.... i so wouldnt have believed them)....It takes time to make them changes but the first step is to acknowledge that you want to make them, and then take them steps towards achieving them and stick to them. Wishing you all well and a time when you feel strong enough to make that first step xxxx

• 2 months later...

Hey sparko, it is your personal life. If you really wont feel like eating then there is no point eating unnecessarily. Our body can handle these issues well. People think that if we eat then our weight increases and if not weight decreases. it is just a myth. Do you know, taking a lot of stress and tension can even make your weight to loose

Archived