Mental Health Forums

L-Tryptophane

Elke

Hello Elke, a couple of years back I was on all the drugs going and one of them was this and it was supposed to boost my antidepressant (which they had me on higher than the advised dose of anyway) I think it helped at the time but now they have stripped me down to 3 main meds and I'm actually better for it. My advice is to try it, it may well work .x

Is it only positive experiences you are interested in? If I took it and my head fell off, would you want to know? (only kidding :) )

Oh, Data, I pity you (only joking)

Thanks for posting about this Elke - I am having severe problems with my pdoc because she won't change my anti-ds which aren't working and I've googled this and think I might give it a go because I am getting absolutely nowhere with my useless pdoc so I need to try to do something about it myself. I'd never heard of this before and can't thank you enough for bringing it to my attention. It is a tad expensive but if it works then sod the cost - if it boosts my mood and helps me to sleep then I am all for it :) xx

Hmmm just done some more googling to see if it will be OK to take this on top of my 20mg of citalopram and it says it should be avoided due to serotonin syndrome.

Roses were you on an SSRI when they gave you this to boost your anti-d?

I am so desperate at the moment, I am prepared to try anything but I realise that I need to be sensible about this because serotonin syndrome is awful and can be fatal.

Catsmother, yes I also read to first talk to your doc before taking it in addition to citalopram. Serotonin Syndrom.

I have taken it for two days now and am amazed. I sleep through the whole night!

I cant say its lifted my mood yet, and it does make me a bit tired, but I´m going to give it time,

Thanks for your reply sweets.

Are you taking it with another anti-depressant or are you just taking it on it's own and also where did you buy it from because there are so many places on the internet that sell fake drugs? Sorry for all the questions! xx

No, I was on an old anti-dep not an SSRI. I agree with above you can't risk getting the syndrome. How are you getting on with ombudsman or PALS about your doctor? x

Thanks Roses :) - I agree I cannot risk getting serotonin syndrome so this is not an option at the moment but it has helped knowing that there are other things out there that can help rather than the drugs that the pdoc doles out.

The advocacy service has agreed to take on my case and I am just waiting for them to send me an appt for when they will come to our home to discuss this more and get some more background information so that they know everything for when we go to my pdoc appt in Dec. xx

After I discovered L-Tryptophan as an alternative on a link of Linehans website, I asked my family doctor for a prescription. First checked the pharmacy if I could buy it over counter, but they said no. Mine is from the company "ratiopharm" and 500 mg.

Still sleeping through the whole night, without nightmares. But am very tired in the a.m.

x Elke

Thanks Roses :) xx

Elke - do you mind if I ask another question? You say that the tryptophan is helping you sleep but is it helping your depression? xx

Archived