Mental Health Forums

Am I Classed As Having An Eating Disorder, Or Is It Normal..... ?

pepsink

hi, im wondering if i have an eating disorder,

for as long as i can remember i have been terrified of food, often because it made me sick,

like backed beans and peach juce, are two i remember,

im terrified of meat being cooked proply and cant cook it my self from raw,

i used to hardly eat any way just because i was full,

but now i delibratly try not to eat and i try to only eat one meal a day,

i will eat chocolate and chrisps to try to not eat much,

i wont eat other than a chocolate bar till 11 or 12,

and i feel sick when looking at food and i feel full,

and then i begin to panic,

i dont really enjoy much and what i do i find i want to eat every day,

usually unhealthy foods, as theyre easy quick and then i dont have time

to think about it, or i prefer going to subway were i can have a quick easy sandwich,

and there is no thinking time,

when i was younger id not eat much as i wanted to stay slim, because of my unhealthy

eating i have put on loads of weight,

i sometimes feel ooh i fancy that, and it may be a decent sized meal, but i will only manage one or two mouthfulls,

other times i can eat the plate but then feel really bad afterwords, like i have been a pig, then i cant eat for the rest of the day,

i have sometimes delibratly gone 16 + hours with out food, because i felt like i over indolged and i feel really guilty,

and sometimes i will just have a hot chocolate instead of eating or a slimming shake thats a meal replacement, or just milk its self,

food is one of my fears as im scared of being sick and i know if i eat i could be sick, i wouldnt eat any thing too out of the ordinary

as it would make me ill,

id rather eat small and not feel ful that way if i dont eat too much i cant be sick,

i know my actions are probably not good, but i really dont know why i think this way,

also this is the first time ive ever spoken about it, so i hope its ok, i hope im not being freaky,

Your not being freaky and well done for opening up and talking about your fears.

I don't know a lot about ED but do you have a good GP? Cuz it might be something worth discussing

Hope your ok

Spark

they dont help i hate them they make things worse, they say always say i need to loose weight and eat healthy they have made me feel intimataded with they say that so id never tell them ..

im really struggling, at the moment, i feel i cant cope :(

Hi,

I don't know exactly where your eating would fit as a diagnosis, but it certainly sounds as though your eating is disordered if you get me. There are some unusual patterns of behaviour and it sounds like you have some sort aversion to certain foods. Could it maybe be phobia/OCD related in some way? I know that they can create problems with eating.

Are you under a mental health team, if so let them know, if not, have you thought about referring yourself, it might take some time, but might be worth it. There is also a type of therapy called NLP which I have heard is quite good at helping people with fears of food

hope that helps a bit

It's hard to tell you could try going to a doctor and explaining the symptoms again and they could tell you. I hope you are ok =]

Hello, I agree I don't think is an ED but a symptom of a food phobia or OCD perhaps. If your GP is being unhelpful ask him to refer you to the dietician who I'm sure will take your opinion into account and work with you to reach a healthy BMI agreed between you. My Niece has a BMI nurse or counsellor or something so they do exist. They also can sign you up for free or subsidised gym membership if your BMI is a certain amount and you will get access to the Healthy Living Team which are brilliant and organise activities for everyone. Back in 2007 they used to come to the hossie once a week and do Tai Chi with the inpatients for example, and they do various stuff for in the community too xxx

Archived