Mental Health Forums

Hey Everyone! I Am In My Late 30S And Suffered Bullimia For Most Of My Teens And Twenties... Recovered, Almost...

TinyKay

Anybody else like me :-( I am a recovered bullimic!!! apart form the sporadic episode. But... everytime i try to quit smoking it rears it's ugly head and with a vengence! Can somebody please please help me. I so wanna quit smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi tina and welcome, i've not got an ed so can't really be much help i'm afraid. someone i knew had something from the doctor once, it was a special type of anti-depressant thats also used for quitting smoking but i've forgot the name- it worked well for him tho. i just thought if its an anti-d as well it may help you to control the bulimia but i'm just guessing. sorry not much help but good luck xxx

Hey Tiny, I was on fluoxetine for a few years whilt "recovering" from bulimia in early 20's but in times of great stress it does rear it's ugly head like you say. I did quit smoking bout 7 years ago and way I did it was to keep on in a box up high somewhere so that I knew it was there and I had the power saying "I don't want you". Whereas if you throw them all out you get that gut wrenching feeling like you have had your toys taken away and you naturally crave and want to go and get them. Take the power back babe and good luck xxx

Hi, the drug that vivien is speaking about is called Zyban in the uk. And in the uk it is only licensed as a smoking cessation drug but in America it is licensed as an anti depressant and it also helps bulimia.

It can be prescribed as an off label drug in the uk though. I am going on it after Christmas. I also suffer from sporadic bulimia and restriction plus I smoke, so it should stop the bulimia and the smoking, although I am not going on it for that.

The reason I am telling you this is that I understand it is very similar in affects to Concerta (ritalin) which is currently what I am on as an off label drug. Since going on this I have not had any purging episodes or even urges to purge whatsoever. I don't think you would be prescribed ritalin as they really don't give it out off label (I was very insistant!) but if you want to go down the medication route (I know not all people do) then Zyban (Wellbrutin) may well help the bulimia and also the smoking at the same time. The reason I am going on it is because it is the closest you can get to ritalin. I have been told it helps greatly with bulimia.

Does your bulimia occur with binges or with eating even a small amount? I think it's about retraining your mind to feel okay with feeling the food in your stomach until the fullness feeling passes. I used to try and wait 2 minutes, then 5 and then 10. Although it felt horrible the urge passed after making myself wait for those extra minutes. I am also in my 30s and suffered bulimia on and off since an early age, so I understand how hard it is to stop. But it feels so lovely after all those years to not have purged for a good two months. (since starting the meds)

Sorry if I have gone on, if you are happy with taking meds it may well be worth talking to your gp or psych about Wellbrutin/Zyban because it is supposed to help both problems.x

Honestly I decided one day I'm going to quit and I did cold turkey. I know it doesn't sound easy but honestly it's the best way to quit. Yes I gained weight and yes I also crave cigs every once in a while even after almost 8 years later but I still haven't touched one. Good luck!

Archived