Tray

who works  

66 members have voted

1. 1. do you work if so what hours

• dont work at the moment
    • part time less than 16 hours a week
    • between 16 and 30 hours a week
    • full time more than 30 hours a week

My job is full time, i have to do it because I can't afford to not be full time as I don't get any benefits or support.

but working full time in a job that is stressful and gives me panic attacks is not good, things happen like this past month, I ran myself into the ground and my immune system suffered I had an infection and I worked through it, and then I had a cold and worked through that and then I caught a stomach bug and it just about finished me off, I've been off work now the past 6 days, only just going back today because i'd run myself down too much.

I've had 3 nervous breakdowns since I started my job, the first one had me off work for 2 weeks, the second 1 week and the last one this year that was alot more mild only had me off for 3 days.

If i could possibly find a way to work less houes I would, because its only a matter of time each time before I burn myself out and have to take time off sick.

I work part time. I've always worked, apart from when I was made redundant and couldn't find work. It's hard sometimes, when I'm feeling particulary bad, I don't want to be there because I need to be elsewhere. I find it hard to pretend to be 'normal' and have to have 'normal' conversations with people.

I am surprised at how many people work full time. At the moment we have the highest vote!

I enjoy working full time although as with all things, it took a little bit to get into a routine. I like the structure although I am lucky - I can start anywhere between 6am and 9:30am so its good to know I can sleep in if I need too.

I think you would do great Tray, having a child is a routine in itself and once the routine is set you may actually start to enjoy it.

It is also a great sence of accomplishment. I was lucky, I got my job first interview, others are not so lucky

Good luck on your search!

honeymay xxx

well no one has called so guess not maybe its fate i didnt get it x

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job Tray. I don't think its fate, you win some you lose some.

Working full time is tough when you have mh problems, but that's no reason not to. I think a lot of the problem is that you think other people are performing better than they are and are more worthy of the job then you. Often that is a misconception.

I worked full time from the age of 15 to 44 then was medically retired due to ill health......Just another statistic on lifes scrap heap now :eh:

I wish i could work...I am not complaining I get enough money to live on benefits and I'm really grateful for it...but I'd love to be able to afford to go traveling more and have more direction in life. But I seem to have every diagnosis under the sun and alongside that I can only use one hand, which limits the sort of jobs I can do. I'd love to get an education but don't even have GCSEs let alone A-levels. I used to work with children in schools but I'm excluded from that now because I've been sectioned :(

Hopefully one day I will be 'together' enough to study something meaningful and get a job with prospects and feel like my life has some sort of meaning!! Is it just me or is it even hard to get voluntary work? I've applied to loads of places and they either say I'm not suitable or they want references I can't get :(

I have just recently been diagnosed with BPD and have just taken on a 28hr a week job , actually on the same week i was diagnosed and started medication i started my job , i am a mess when im just at home but am starting to get old anxiety feelings back when thinking about going in , i can handle myself but two girls gave off the bitch vibe and now im stressed , like i say i can verbally put then in their place but the thinking about it has me a bag of stress which is blowing up the BPD ... HELP !! any advice is welcome xx

• 3 weeks later...

I have worked during some time of my illness but couldnt cope and I now dont work (Im also a full time student) Its important Tracy to only work what you feel, theres no point pushing yourself for full time hours if its only going to make you feel worse :(

I know it can be hard with having a morgage, bills etc to pay but at the end of the day you need to look after number one which is you!

Ollie

xx

well i have managed to do 5 weeks of full time work and i fin there today, as my contract has ended. i have managed it just but the house is a mess, as i have been too tired to do anythin and i am absoloutly knackered but i am proud of myself for working hard and managing it but it has shown me that there is no way i can do full time work on a perm basis.

Thank you all for your replies x

well guess what, they have offered me a job! working part time, mon, tue and wed, doing the same job i use to, im over the moon x

I work, i do 25hrs now, but with over time depending on how i am it is more. This past year i took on more hrs again, but by end i wish it was less or wish just stop working again.

Hi, I know you posted this ages ago but I just wanted to say that I have attempted to work for years and I am totally unable to hold down anything resembling a normal working life. My husband and I had to sit down and make the decision that despite the fact we can barely manage financially, that I cannot work for the forseeable future. Also, we had to factor in our 3 children ! I am completely unable to work and look after a family ! And so the family obviously came first. My worry is that they see me in a varying range of emotions and levels of coping and not coping - am so anxious that I am screwing them up !

I hope you manage to get something organised that you can cope with. x x

• 3 weeks later...

well guess what, they have offered me a job! working part time, mon, tue and wed, doing the same job i use to, im over the moon x

well done Tray, glad to hear it all worked out! X

its only for a few more weeks i reckon its stil tempin but perm hours every week iykwim. im sick of it already lol... seriously iv been really low again nd working is killing me but i go when i have to and do what i have to do, even thou i feel like stayin in bed all day and crying x

I put 16-30 as I work on supply. Sometimes I work up to 80 hours, sometimes 0.

I have to work to pay bills and I do enjoy the actual job, just the paperwork/internal politics etc. that stresses me out. I don't get sick pay or holiday pay or anything. If I dont work I get nothing. I find it very hard to get myself up in a morning. Very hard.

• 3 weeks later...

I work fulltime and i really struggle. I find the balance of family life and a particularly stressful role as a HR Manager very difficult. I have worked for my present company for 8 years and in the last 2 years i have been off and exhausted all my company sick pay which is 6 weeks per year.

Work have a medical report and i have never been disciplined for my time off but with a current bullying issue at work means i am now medically suspended as my Manager doesn't feel i am fit for work. My Pdoc and CPN are really keen to keep me in work as they believe it is good for my condition. I am in rented accommodation and have large debts from a previous failed relationship. If i don't work, i can't pay my bills. Some days my work makes me feel important and useful, other days i cry in the toilet as i can't even lift my head off the pillow. I feel like i am walking into work with the Maddie mask - no emotion, always restrained and professional - sometimes that is difficuly to keep the facade up.

It has been really interesting reading everyone else's posts

Maddie xx

Hello Maddie, Sorry to hear that you struggle with work. I really hope it gets better for you especially the bullying issue!

I really want to get back into work but my social worker and Pdoc have said its too early for me yet :(

xxxxx

Hi Ollie,

Thanks for your reply. That is really good that you want to go back to work but you have to start when everything is in the right place. Unfortunately wanting to and actually going are two separate events! i wish you well in your recovery and i am sure you will get back to a really fulfilling role. Work is good and i am lucky i have a lot of friends from work - if i didn't go i would never have met them!

Maddie x

i don't know whether to put i don't work or i work 24/7 as i'm at home with a 1 yr old & 4 yr old!

b4 them i worked but had to leave when i got hospitalised, had a year off then major panic attacks when i tried to go back :(

Hey Lou,

Its hard work looking after two lttle ones but i think the poll is looking for a survey of people that go out to work that is not associated with home life, even though as you say is 24/7 full on. I always joke when im leaving my physical place of work - off to my second job now cooking tea, , loking after my 3 kids (okay 2 plus one OH) etc lol! :P

Archived