Mental Health Forums

Do I Have An Eating Disorder?

deedeanjackharri

Im just wondering whether i would be considered to have an eating disorder. I go 2 days without eating a thing because i dont want to pput on weight, and then by the 3rd day i binge eat until i feel sick because im so hungry. Ive never had a good relationship with food and have always struggled with my weight, i have told my psychiatrist and she said its something that i need to bring up with the psychologist, but im still on the waiting list. I just dont know how to break the cycle, because i fear weight gain so much and i am overweight.

Any ideas thanks deexx

I do the same thing, except I don't go as long without eating and binge much more often.

I think it is a form of bulimia, skipping meals is to make up for the binge, instead of being sick.

And I used to have bulimia, so I am pretty sure it is an eating disorder, in my case anyway.

Thing is, I can't seem to get anyone to take me seriously and get me some help.

They all seem to think that because I am overweight that I cannot have an eating disorder, that I am just greedy and lazy.

If I were you I would try and get help for this, maybe go to your GP if you are still on a waiting list and the psychiatrist hasn't really taken you seriously. It's not healthy, it's not fun, and it's probably only going to get worse.

Good luck <3

I can sympathise. I am overweight just piled it on with meds and alcohol. I have had bulimic episodes in the past and have very often resticted my calories. In hospital I ate nothing for over a week but because I'm fat peeps don't believe I exist on very little. Now I've just given up and tend to stuff my face but I can't look at me in the mirror I just gross myslef out too much.

xxxB

I've been told that a disorder is not necessarily the actions but the thoughts around it - disordered thinking.

I know this is short and sweet but hope it helps!

Toast xx

think what toaster said is right!! my understanding of it is and feel that if your thinking around food is distorted then its an area that needs addressing. i myself have spent many years caught up in questioning whether i have or not even when others have told me i have. Recognise today the difference because i now am able to enjoy food and dont use it to control how i feel and now realise yes i did have disordered thinking around food.

Wishing you finding that path to!!!! xxxxx

• 1 month later...

Even i agree with toaster. It is more mental problem than physical. and these psychaetrists make money of that by unnecesarily frightening people. Do not worry, i personally feel it is not a disorder. As me not a doctor, cannot go into technicalities

• 1 month later...

I was thinking similar thoughts.

I tend to not eat at all for days or eat very small amounts. I found myself counting calories with an app working out how many I burnt by exersise etc.

I all ready have really bad self image and was weighing myself 8 or more times a day, standing in the mirror looking at myself from every possible angle. I have at times used a pan sponge on my face until I have bled because I hate what I see looking back at me. My feet disgust me, I have to keep them covered if I could chop my toes off I would and I have tried :S

ARGH I hate me!

Archived