Mental Health Forums

Dothiepin/dosulepin

catsmother21

I am thinking about changing my citalopram to the above medication and was wondering if anyone else here is on this. I know different meds affect different people differently but I would like to hear your experiences of it good/bad/side effects etc and if the side effect of weight is a huge gain in weight or just a bit.

Many thanks :)

Edit - if you don't take this but do take another sedative anti-d that helps you could you let me know about those as well - I will say that mirtazipine is something that hasn't worked for me in the past but if there are any others it would be great to know.

had it - best one i ever took

ticked ALL the boxes for me

and it, for me anyway, was a great anti-anx and sedative so should help you there...

but i will warn you, they dont like prescribing TCAs these days, i had to beg for them... you may have to offer to have them on weekly script or something...

amitrip is same family and also just as good...

side effects - none really apart from very dry mouth and a slight sleepy-med hangover but that is gone with the first coffee... no weight gain for me at all...

btw, they are sedatives and help you go to sleep. but dont keep you asleep if you get what i mean...

good luck with the change, i have mentioned these drugs to you before i think, and i think they will help you, if you can get them...

:hug2: xxxxxx

Hiya Cats,

I've never heard of the Anti-D's you've mentioned. But in the past i had been put on Mirtazipine, and when that did nothing for my depression and sleep, i was put on Trazodone, which worked quite well. It's quite an old Anti-Depressent that works on serotonin and has anti-anxiety and hypnotic prooerties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trazodone

I found them quite helpful at the time and didn't gain weight on them or have any other side effects i can remember, except feeling a bit groggy in the mornings for the first few weeks.

Of course they still have their list of side effects, like all medications.

Hope you find something that worls for you.

Aurora :)

I have been on it- it makes you drowsy so its best to take it 2 hours before u go to sleep with food, and be careful to because it can make you feel suicidal

had it - best one i ever took

ticked ALL the boxes for me

and it, for me anyway, was a great anti-anx and sedative so should help you there...

but i will warn you, they dont like prescribing TCAs these days, i had to beg for them... you may have to offer to have them on weekly script or something...

amitrip is same family and also just as good...

side effects - none really apart from very dry mouth and a slight sleepy-med hangover but that is gone with the first coffee... no weight gain for me at all...

btw, they are sedatives and help you go to sleep. but dont keep you asleep if you get what i mean...

good luck with the change, i have mentioned these drugs to you before i think, and i think they will help you, if you can get them...

:hug2: xxxxxx

I think I should be able to get the dothiepin because my hubby keeps all my meds in a safe and just gives me what I need for a couple of days at a time and my GP seemed quite alright about prescribing that knowing that they would be locked away. So if pdoc won't then I'll just go back to my GP because her last words to me on the phone yesterday were - you know where I am if you need me - how lovely is that!

I thought it was you that had mentioned this before but with my stupid memory, I couldn't remember exactly.

It is the getting to sleep that I have the most trouble with so these sound like they will be good for me and no weight gain - even better!!

Thanks Kath - your post has helped to make me feel even more positive. I know that the new meds won't be a magic wand but if I'm not so tired and depressed all the time then I can practice my DBT skills better when I need and I will feel better all round. No sleep and depression = no concentration = can't read DBT file or doing anything much at all really.

My post viral fatigue symptoms are down to about 2 out of 10 (3/4 out of 10 if I have a bad day) and so I don't think it will be long before I can start using my exercise bike again that I bought last year and that will also help with my MH.

I don't know if I dare say it too loud but I am feeling more positive that things will be OK again. :)

Hiya Cats,

I've never heard of the Anti-D's you've mentioned. But in the past i had been put on Mirtazipine, and when that did nothing for my depression and sleep, i was put on Trazodone, which worked quite well. It's quite an old Anti-Depressent that works on serotonin and has anti-anxiety and hypnotic prooerties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trazodone

I found them quite helpful at the time and didn't gain weight on them or have any other side effects i can remember, except feeling a bit groggy in the mornings for the first few weeks.

Of course they still have their list of side effects, like all medications.

Hope you find something that worls for you.

Aurora :)

Yeah this anti-d that I'm talking about it one of the older ones as well, it used to be called prothiedin, then dothiepin and now dosulepin.

I have heard of Trazadone so that is another to have a look at. I do know that I need one that helps with anxiety because I get that really bad quite a lot.

Thank you so much xx

I have been on it- it makes you drowsy so its best to take it 2 hours before u go to sleep with food, and be careful to because it can make you feel suicidal

:) Thanks for letting me know that it might make me feel worse before I start to feel better. If I am aware of that and so is hubby then at least we will both know that it is the meds and just need to ride it out until it starts to work properly. xx

Hi Cats,now you are taking me back, took them 20 years ago, at the time I think they werent used much unless the other trc didnt work, think I did get to sleep on them didnt put on weight cant remember much more, took them with lithium, worth a go, have you ever taken trazadone as that has sedative properties too. just looked it up.

Thanks Christine :) - yep Aurora mentioned Trazadone and thanks for looking it up, so I've got 2 to discuss with her now though atm I'm more tempted to go for the dothiepin.xx

Archived