Mental Health Forums

People Coming To Your Home

toaster

How do you feel when people come to you home?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel when people come to your home?

• Doesn't bother me
    • If they are expected it doesn't bother me
    • Feel slightly nervous
    • Feel VERY nervous/don't answer the door
    • Have been known to hide

Just had the scrappy here to take away the hunk of junk that was the vectra. Got £100 for it which isn't bad going seeing as we didn't take it the scrappy ourselves!

The thing is, I knew the guy was coming - pie called them yesterday to arrange it and the people called me to tell me they were on their way. But still I get horribly anxious, especially waiting.

In the past (hence one of the poll answers lol) I have been known to hide behind the couch, behind the door, switch my phone to silent and/or hide in my bed.

I know I have bad anxiety, social anxiety and I am extremely neurotic. I've accepted this won't go away so therefore I am left with managing it, which I do a lot better.

I've even ordered stuff from the catalogue then been too afraid to answer the door - there is a warehouse somewhere full of hundreds of pounds worth of goods with my name on :blink: goods I am in debt for!

So I was just wondering how many people are the same?

i'm really bad with it. in fact the plumber has just this second left and i've been putting off having my leaky tap fixed for weeks because i was worried about how i'd be and if i'd manage it. its only because it'd got so much worse i had no choice but to get it done.

he's the first non-mh person i've had round in months so i feel a little bit proud of myself, but wish i'd plucked up the courage to get it done weeks ago.

I haven't voted for one in particular because I go from being slightly nervous to very nervous and have been known to hide depending on how I am feeling on the day.

If it is expected, it's not too bad but if it isn't it scares me because I always think it is going to be bad news and I am the same with the phone if it rings when I'm not expecting it to.

Our home is my safe place and if people visit (apart from my brother and his family) I am relieved when they have gone and can physically feel myself relax and I know my hubby is the same.

Even when my CPN comes round and she can be very helpful - I still feel relieved when it is time for her to go.

I am the same if I have been out - I can manage about 3-4 hours out of the house at the most and then I get all angsty because I just want to come home and feel safe.

So I can emphathise with how you feel Toastie - it's not nice.

People coming round makes me feel really sick nowadays. I always think(for some reason) they're out to notice me feeling bad and will call the police to get me sectioned....no matter who it is...irrational I know.

Im ok if i know they are coming, depends who they are i dont like un invited ppl round i.e if family pop round and i dont know theyre coming i feel so uneasy i think cos i feel i have to put on an act when theyre there but when they gone im fine.

If i invite anyone then im ok i think its cos im expecting them so sort of build myself up for them.

t

as for plumbers or work men i still feel uneasy but hover round them incase they doing something they shouldnt and yet i dont want to be staring at them either. I pretend im busy but really im just nervously moving around

yeah, emo thats what i was like. i was pretending to fold and hang up clean washing but really i just wanted to be doing something so i seemed 'normal' and trying to disguise i was really anxious about him being here.

thankfully it went ok a lot better than i thought but he's coming back next week to finish something off and i'm nervous already about it.

orange lamp- i always worry that they can tell whats going on with me so theres always loads of pressure to put on an act that everything is ok.

Cats thats EXACTLY how I feel, "the pressure of trying to seem ok" Even when my friends do come 'round I feel so fake & feel theyre thinking how much I've changed & that Im boring lol.

I absolutely can't bear it. I don't answer the door if it knocks. I make excuses so that my landlord can't make repairs, and I ignore the things that do need repairing. I hate it when anyone is in my home. It makes me feel very unsafe and open to bad things. I even hate it when C's friends are here.

I admire people that can let anyone into their home, even if they aren't expecting them. I sort of envy them too.

I have been known to hide so voted that However, all of them apply depending on who it is why i think they have come and how i am feeling at the time.

When the doorbell rings my heart starts pounding,I get a rush of adrenaline. But I do deal mostly ok I dont want strangers in the house though if hubby is not there,worry theyll hurt me somehow. Like people who come to fix something.

Have it worse with the phone,talking to people I dont know well on the phone yikes!

And like cats dont like to go out too long either. I get anxious. My home is my safe place.

So guess a bit of everything for me in this area.

Lily

yes but i tend to hide if i don't know the person- hence a stranger, work men i get scared especially in my room then i get all shaky and then my period comes on. I think the worst think they are going to attack me even when the managers in the room with me

I really hate when workmen have to be here, too. I hide if i can, or else I do like others said and get all industrious so they won't know I have issues. Like Toxie, I get nervous when friends come, because I think they'll judge my humble home or I will be boring (or weird). The other fear I have is if people stay too long. I get tired entertaining, and eventually cranky. I start dissociating usually. Or else fill up with fear and rage. When it's workmen, I feel a weird sexual tension, as tho i will lose myself and invite them to do things I dont want to do. Then i fear they will read my mind and attack me "because I wanted it". it's exhausting.

Interesting!!!

I'm actually not too bad with workmen and visitors - I do however hate family get togethers, I close down and become really quiet and just want everyone to leave ASAP. I'm on edge thinking that an arguement will kick off and I believe everyone is being false with each other.

It's a real shame - I can't relax and enjoy the company. In fact, thinking about it...I lke going out with my friends but any of their family get togethers, I think the same things.

Am wierdo :confused: !! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS good on you vivien - huge step. you should deffo feel proud xxxxxxxxx

I don't really know what to vote, as it changes depending. It certainly does bother me though, it's just the extent to which it affects me which varies. I've hidden in the kitchen for half an hour to avoid answering the door, have phoned up from my sofa and lied to people saying i'm not home, in order to avoid having to see them.

this has been particularly bad lately, cause of what happened. I let the fix-it guy in to sort the door through to the kitchen, but had next door on standby and was on the phone the entire time, opposite end of house to him, and had a "plan" should i need to defend myself.

I hate it. it makes me feel ill. I feel violated when people come into my home... I'm okay with family though, providing they don't come round and have a go at me. xx

Depends who it is, I dislike the MHT coming to my home I always have done, I don't mind friends if I am having a good day but I do like warning first, Family I don't mind either as long as they let me know but I do like my space :)

I just remembered this after reading charlottes post - once, when I came home from group therapy I saw my landlords car parked outside my building - I went and sat at the bus stop down the road for over an hour in the freezing cold, crying, because i didn't want him to ask to see my flat.

Another time, the painters were in the building and they needed me to open my front door so the could paint the edge of the door. They asked me this (I viewed it as they 'caught' me) when I came in from the shop. I told the guy I would open my door in half an hour. I didn't. He saw me go in and not go back out again. He knocked. I hid under my duvet like he could see me (my door was solid wood).

Bad times man

I always hide when people come to the house. when we had the bathroom done i hid up in the attic and bought a portaloo thing even tho we were allowed into the bathroom. I ate all my food up there and didnt come out till theyd gone. workmen never see me.

when my sister and her partner visit i hide until my mum forces me to come downstairs. sometimes they bring friends but i never meet them now. my mum used to force me to meet their friends but they were always rude to me so i'm allowed to hide from them now

sometimes people come to see my mum for work reasons, i hide or go out

I'll go out and meet people but i dont invite them to my house, i'm not comfortable with that. when people have just dropped by to see me i always had a major panic attack and they had to go away

i dont mind workmen etc i dont like doctors cpns etc coming to my house i always see them at there office

strangers im fine with can chat etc people who try to get to know me is another matter im crap hence no friends and its the same on boards

Actually we've recently put a sign on the door, saying, if you are not expected or invited then don't bother knocking as we won't answer. I hate people coming to the door, absolutely hate it.

I used to hide all the time when someone would knock on the door, even crawling on my hands and knees so they couldn't see me through the glass :ashamed0005: Tiny bit better now although I'll ignore it if I think I can get away with it. I've gone a bit too far the other way though, I let a random man into the communal hallway of the flat yesterday even though he didn't show any ID, but I totally panicked. I'd let a serial killer into my house if they asked :(

Archived