Mental Health Forums

Letter From Drama Therapist

lonelyheartemma

My drama therapist has written to the head of the mental health team and i got a copy of the letter. It had some negative things about my parents in it but luckily my mum didnt ask to read it and i've hidden it now

But some bits of what he wrote really bothered me,

he wrote She presents as a very articulate and bright person but there is also something very childish and vulnerable in her

I'm really happy about the first part, most people who meet me think i'm the opposite. and i def agree with the 2nd part but is it bad i find very childish a bit insulting? I would say i'm more childlike than childish but maybe i'm being over fussy and well, childish.

She complains that no one really understands her

I was not complaining, i was answering his question. I do complain sometimes, like i'm complaining about his choice of words now but i feel like its not anyones fault if they don't understand me, its a fact and its painful but its not really something i can complain about or expect him to help with

She feels criticised at home and as a result has withdrawn into an elaborated world of fantasy

I dont think this is quite fair, my fantasies are fun and intresting, its not just something i created to get away from my parents and i don't think its quite fair on them for him to write that. I'm like most people, i like to do fun things and pretending i've got a life is fun

She indicated that she had received individual drama therapy but she did not seem to say it had been helpful

I said it wasn't helpful but he makes it sound like I didn't say that.

She indicated she had no ambition to work in a hairdressing salon

This is not true! I think this was just a typing error but it gives the wrong impression, i would love to work in a hairdressing salon

Do you think it would be ok to write to the person he sent the letter to to say i'd just like to make things clear that the drama therapist didnt pick up on? I think maybe the first 2 i mentioned arent worth worrying about because childish is his opinion and the important thing about the second one is that i feel like no one understands me and i think they'll get that from what hes written and I think the one about drama therapy not being helpful is fine too, it doesnt actually say something that isnt true or give the wrong impression

but the other 2 are just wrong and i'd rather explain in a letter than have a situ where i'm sitting with people who ask me why are you studying hairdressing if you dont want to work in a salon

Emma I think it is really important that letters, reports etc which find their way into our medical files are accurate and respectful and this seems to be neither. When something similar happened to me I wrote putting the errors right and eventually after a complaint got the letter I objected to withdrawn and a new one written. I think it is very different to be childlike rather than childish. It is also important that professionals are not allowed to get away with using judgemental language like "complaining". Other favourite ones are "manipulating" or "demanding".

Your ambitions are very important to you and of course this bit needs putting right. In fact the whole letter needs a re write and you can help them by submitting your correct version.

Good luck

M x

I def think u shud write how feel and put it right.

I was lucky with one of my group t. We wrote the letter together and once it was wrutten he showed me a draft and i put some wrong points right.

Think some of the wording in yours isnt right.

Dont b affraid to tell them and put it right. Its your notrs after all.

Good luck

emo xx

Drs have often wrote wrong points and it was nice to actually have.a t that actually wanted to write my letter with me and for the 1st time in 20yrs it felt like someone was listening to me so yeah its important they get details right.

All the best

emo xx

i agree with all the other replies.

in fact i've been meaning to get copies of all my medical pdoc notes for awhile now and reading of the inaccuracies in your letter it has made me think i definitely should do!

xxx

Yes! Please write and correct this, I've had experiences with medical staff miss-interpreting me & its really upsetting. Please keep us updated, hope you can get it sorted sweets x

thank you everyone whos posted

I havent done anything about it yet but i should do. i've been putting things off til i'm better but idk when that will be

Archived