Mental Health Forums

Plans For A New Year

BimoUK

So, as much as I hate the New Year and I don't really go for the whole "New Years Resolution" thing,I have decided on a few things I intend to do over the coming year that will, hopefully, enrich my life in new ways, help me meet new people and aid my recovery.

I've booked an appointment to make my first ever donation of blood on January 17th at 6:20pm. I'm absolutely terrified but I can't think of a better way to start the year than by doing something that might just save someone else's life.

I've also registered with a local volunteering directory in the hope that I'll find somewhere that I can do a few hours a week to help others and help myself at the same time.

Finally, some of you may remember me mentioning a charity event, The Three Peaks Challenge, that I was planning on doing. The registration fee has been preventing me from signing up before now, but by the end of January, assuming they still have spaces, I'll be registering, so I'll be bugging you all for sponsorship!!! It's to raise money for the MH charity Mind.

Aside from that there's all the regular things that I promise myself each time New Year comes around, lose weight, get fit, change jobs etc. etc.

What sorts of things are you all going to do to try and make 2012 the best year it can be for you??

Edit:

Also plan to make some serious headway on my new book this coming year.........maybe even finish it by 2013??

So good to hear positivity and plan making - proud of you. In response, I plan to get fit and lose that little bit I've gained whilst recovering from back/foot. I've got about a stone to lose. x

So good to hear positivity and plan making - proud of you. In response, I plan to get fit and lose that little bit I've gained whilst recovering from back/foot. I've got about a stone to lose. x

Good for you Rose hun!

A bit of sensible eating and some regular exercise and that'll come off no problem. Doesn't even have to be anything strenuous, walking is great exercise!

Come on guys, who else has got plans??

Alora got dancing game for Wii and we have been at that most of the day (phew is all I can say), so think that might be the way ahead. Thanks for the support Bimo and it's good to see you again xxx

Ha ha! Yes, some of those Wii games can really take it out of you!! I remember sweating like crazy and gasping for breath from playing Mario and Sonic at the Olympics!!!

Be sure to let me know how you get on!

x x

I really want to learn to meditate - I'm hoping to set up a small course where I work, so lots of people will benefit!

I also want to pay off my student loans this year.

Great thread Bimo - lots of inspiration on here xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I really want to learn to meditate - I'm hoping to set up a small course where I work, so lots of people will benefit!

I also want to pay off my student loans this year.

Great thread Bimo - lots of inspiration on here xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sounds good fedup! I've never quite got the hang of meditation myself, though I would love to. Nothing much ever seems to happen for me, I just sit or lie there for half an hour or so and, more often than not, fall asleep! LOL

As for the student loan, that's a good goal. I don't have a student loan but I do have debt, some of which will definately be cleared in the coming year.

Keep 'em coming folks!

x x

I'm glad that you are being so positive :)

I have already done one of my New Year's resolutions and that is to apply to do the online DBTyahoo course as a refresher now that I am feeling better. I am just waiting to hear if I have been accepted now. :)

The other one is to get back on my exercise bike, I haven't touched it this year with the post viral fatigue and awful depression. I want to feel fitter and it will also help to boost my MH.

I also want to try to interact more with people in real life but it's early days yet (with feeling better) and not quite sure how I'm going to go about it yet but at least I am thinking about it - this is the one that scares me the most.

I wish you all the best and lots of luck with your resolutions and here's to a good 2012. :D xx

I'm glad that you are being so positive :)

I have already done one of my New Year's resolutions and that is to apply to do the online DBTyahoo course as a refresher now that I am feeling better. I am just waiting to hear if I have been accepted now. :)

The other one is to get back on my exercise bike, I haven't touched it this year with the post viral fatigue and awful depression. I want to feel fitter and it will also help to boost my MH.

I also want to try to interact more with people in real life but it's early days yet (with feeling better) and not quite sure how I'm going to go about it yet but at least I am thinking about it - this is the one that scares me the most.

I wish you all the best and lots of luck with your resolutions and here's to a good 2012. :D xx

All brilliant plans Cats!

I know Doctors bang on about it all the time, but exercise really is great for improving your mood! I always feel on top of the world when I come out of the gym after a good hard work out. I also find that the time spent exercising allows my mind to wander and I often find the answers to things that have been bothering me.

It's great that you're thinking about venturing back out into the "Real World", and I can well imagine how scary the idea must be for you. I have to spend most of every day among people at work and I really don't enjoy it. I'm hoping doing some volunteering will help me over come that and start to enjoy being in the company of others.

The online DBT course sounds interesting, might be something to have a look at myself. You saying that has reminded me of something else I'm thinking of doing over the coming year, and that's taking an evening class or something similar. I've always enjoyed learning new things and it might even help me find that new job.

x x

Well, I've checked my student loan account online...it is shocking!!! But, I have a clear idea of how much I owe so, square shoulders, grit teeth and I will just have to get on with it.

Will be a leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean old year, but I just keep imagining how i'd feel being completely debt free.....amazing, that's what xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, I've checked my student loan account online...it is shocking!!! But, I have a clear idea of how much I owe so, square shoulders, grit teeth and I will just have to get on with it.

Will be a leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean old year, but I just keep imagining how i'd feel being completely debt free.....amazing, that's what xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's the spirit!

Just focus on the goal and how good you'll feel, and all that extra money you'll have! Just make sure that between now and when you're paid up you decide on something that you're going to treat yourself to, that'll give you the motivation to keep at it!!

Plus, you never know what great little money saving tips and tricks you'll pick up along the way, after all, necessity is the mother of invention.

x x

Good luck with your resolutions Bimo, they all sound like really good acheivable things to do

I'm not making any. there are things i want to do like college courses and getting a job but that depends on my health and that isnt something i can really control. all i really want to do is keep taking things a day at a time, grab oppurtunities to do things when i can but not make too many plans because making plans and then discovering i am too ill to do it is depressing. I'd also like to be a better peer supporter and start doing all the things i'm not doing atm

Good luck with your resolutions Bimo, they all sound like really good acheivable things to do

I'm not making any. there are things i want to do like college courses and getting a job but that depends on my health and that isnt something i can really control. all i really want to do is keep taking things a day at a time, grab oppurtunities to do things when i can but not make too many plans because making plans and then discovering i am too ill to do it is depressing. I'd also like to be a better peer supporter and start doing all the things i'm not doing atm

Just the fact that you're willing and prepared to take opportunities as they come is a great plan LHE!! I can well imagine it must be very upsetting to find that you're too unwell physically to do things that you had planned to do. I certainly hope the coming year brings some improvement in your physical condition so that you can start to achieve some of the things you want to.

And as for being a "better" Peer Supporter, I think you're brilliant. Remember though, you can't be there for others all the time, you have to take some time for yourself.

x x

i am going to try and lose some weight, i have seen trampolining for adults and also adult gymnastics, i used to be a good gymnast as kid and would love to take it up again, but not sure my wrist is strong enough, not sure what is up with it but cant support much weight even tho never broken?? maybe a wrist support and i could get away with it, unfortunately trampoling and gymnastics clash on day and time! dont want trampoline to be one of those barely of ground things that u just bounce on, i want to be able to do somersaults etc. i have little fear on the things lol.

would love to feel safe outdoors, so can take my dog on longer walks.

Thank you Bimo. I usually like to plan things well in advance but maybe i can get used to acting on impulse. I have been doing it a bit recently but only with very small things. but maybe thats the best way to start

Cad have you been to the doctor about your wrist? I broke my collar bone without realising it but i did have other injuries at the same time that hurt more so it took a few days to realise my shoulder hurt too. it could be a different sort of injury. I wear support bandages and they do make a real difference but maybe its worth talking to a doctor too, even if they dont diagnose an injury they might be able to give you wrist strengthening exercises?

maybe you could do the trampolining to start off with while you are sorting out the problems with your wrist, theres lots of moves you can do with that without putting pressure on your wrist. then when your wrist is okay you could either carry on with trampolining or switch to gymnastics? maybe you could even sort something out so you do maybe half a term of one then half a term of the other, i'm sure lots of people would be interested in both so they might have something in place for people who want to do both

thanks emma,

never even crossed my mind to see gp about it, it just comes and goes, but is annoying, when it happens but know couldnt support my weight! but changing between gymnastic and trampoling is good idea, as i get bored easily, both only £1 a week, so not sure u even have to prepay!

will make a nurse appoint about my wrist, as is not urgent and have nurse practioners type ppl at our gp, bit like drs, not sure diff as they can prescribe? and will be able to get in sooner!

Face Reality, I know that sounds sarcastic, but I am serious. There are so many things building up the last couple of years that are making my life go nowhere, only I can't seem to get on board with them for very long before I push them away again.

I have an independent self I am responsible for and I have face up being independently responsible for me (somehow).

Face Reality, I know that sounds sarcastic, but I am serious. There are so many things building up the last couple of years that are making my life go nowhere, only I can't seem to get on board with them for very long before I push them away again.

I have an independent self I am responsible for and I have face up being independently responsible for me (somehow).

I think there are things we all hide from Sah, and we could probably all do with facing reality in some area of our lives. I think this is a sound plan.

Just remember, somtimes we hide from things for good reason, don't try to face up to too much too soon.

x x

I totally neglected to mention that I have also applied to enter this years X-Factor.

Singing professionally has always been a dream of mine, I had just always hoped to achieve it by "paying my dues" rather than via a reality TV show, but times are changing and if you don't keep up you'll be left behind.

Not decided for certain if I will actually even audition, but now that I've applied I've given myself the chance to choose either way.

Archived