Mental Health Forums

A Bipolar Spectrum?

nicolak10

Has anyone's psychiatrist ever talked about the 'bipolar spectrum'?

When I was first diagnosed by a psychiatrist as bpd he explained it to me as being on a spectrum with bipolar but obviously lower down, and said it could go right down to really mild mood swings. Has anyone else been told this or was he just saying that?

I've never heard that BPD is part of a bipolar spectrum....... I have heard that it has been questioned whether it is or not, though, but to my knowledge it hasn't been made official..... . I know there were talks of "reframing" it to be part of a spectrum disorder, more as a way of encouraging both patients, medical professionals, and loved ones in the recovery process, as BPD has such harsh stigma surrounding it, that to reframe it as being on a diff end of the spectrum to bipolar - which has considerably less stigma attached because there is a solid basis in most cases of physical elements - chemical inbalances and such - would hopefully reduce stigma, and increase the accessibility of treatment for the condition.

How this would work, i'm not entirely sure. it isn't something i've looked into a great deal.

I was initially diagnosed with bipolar, with rapid cycling. But considering my mood swings rarely lasted more than a few hours, and were extremely intense, amongst other things, I was given the diagnosis of BPD instead.

my understanding of where the two cross over, is that there both contain difficulties regulating emotions. I don't understand how they can be the same thing, or on a spectrum.....

but then again, i feel pretty dumb this evening, so will revisit this and have a think, see if i can make any more sense out of it soon.

xx

i got told that BPD was on the bipolar spectrum, and when i asked it was classed as similar to the way that aspergers is on the autistic spectrum.... similar symptoms, differing speeds/intensity/severity

i got told that BPD was on the bipolar spectrum, and when i asked it was classed as similar to the way that aspergers is on the autistic spectrum.... similar symptoms, differing speeds/intensity/severity

Ah, yes. Is that because it is classed as classed as a mood disorder, then, hun? I've heard BPD referreded to as a mood disorder in some cases, but then not in others. sliding scales and spectrums and similar to bipolar, or not similar to bipolar but often comorbid with bipolar...... same as bipolar.... the same illness is diagosed as Bipolar in males, but BPD in females....... Heard lots about it...... It's all a tad confusing... enough to make a girl a bit bonkers, i think! (that's what i'm blaming. I've not got BPD, not really. i was perfectly fine before those naughty shrinks interferred! :P )

xx

xx

Huh? How do u mean, flipper? I thought bpd mood swings were much quicker than bipolar?

mean, my mood doesnt go like that- and I have asked for a 2nd opinion on my diagnosis because its wrong

yes its not common for people with autism with the diagnosis, it is often misdiagnosed among us because its very similar because people with autism think in black and white, have relationship problems, self harm, anxiety and all that.

Archived