Mental Health Forums

Another Drawing

wordsmithy

I felt bad that I didn't spend much effort over the Laura Marling drawing I did a few days ago so I had another go tonight.

hoodedlm.jpg

I can't think anymore and feel tired as hell. I can see is its flaws (I blow them up in my head and depress myself),

but t'is better to have drawn that not to have...

?

it is always better to create than to not, if you find faults, look at it as a study toward a more finished product later. I often find I am unhappy or feel deflated when my work does not turn out like I imagine it in my head. It's okay, its part of being a creative person. We are never going to love everything we make.

You lovely guys...

is it bad to only feed off praise?

I was thinking of replying earlier but I got a bit drunk post drawing and am only recovering from a hangover now... so, brain is slow and stupid.

The problem Saharah B, I am really really self-hating and so I end up hating the artwork I create, my opinion of my art work is distorted by self-hatred (so my psych says).

Maybe the problem also is that I never have clear idea of what I want it to look like. My ability to picture stuff in my head is not very good in general.

I give in far too easily and rarely feel motivated to draw/paint/make stuff and have to force myself to do so.

My positive energy runs out altogether too quickly and I rarely follow through to a finished product.

I spent today drawing another one. I hate the fact that I still have nothing to do other than sit and read all day, actually makes me want to go group therapy just so there's something to do. :(

It's of Vladimir Mayakovsky who was a Soviet poet and a playwright who died in a very tragic fashion.

vmayakovsky.jpg

I won't really comment on this one... other than the fact that will drawing more of him soon.

The problem Saharah B, I am really really self-hating and so I end up hating the artwork I create, my opinion of my art work is distorted by self-hatred (so my psych says).

Maybe the problem also is that I never have clear idea of what I want it to look like. My ability to picture stuff in my head is not very good in general.

I give in far too easily and rarely feel motivated to draw/paint/make stuff and have to force myself to do so.

My positive energy runs out altogether too quickly and I rarely follow through to a finished product.

I don't mean to trivialize you feelings by sayings this, but many artists struggle to produce work they like. Not every piece is going to feel like "the masterpiece" when it doesn't deliver it is easy to get down about it.

I think I understand what you are saying about sharing the a drawing you thought was bad. (I am not self hating), but I have high unrelenting standards that are always saying it really isn't as good as it should be. I think I should be more skilled, but struggle to find the motivation to create. I think all artists have blocks that keep them from creating.

I think your sharing your work is actually a positive way to break through some of your blocks. You draw and share and get praise and feel good; that is a positive reward to drawing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived