Mental Health Forums

Mirtazepine

Fuck-My-Life

I have just asked my GP if I can be started on a prescription of Mirtazepine, as I personally feel that the Fluoxitine is doing nothing for me, and have read about some of the benefits of Mirtazepine in my medical textbooks.

Has anyone/is anyone taking this just now? How is it for you? I have heard it is good for treating Seasonal Affective Disorder, something which although undiagnosed, myself and Mum think we both must have as my depression has really got worse since November of last year.

Any info would be great :)

Sorry FML, don't know about this one but I hope that it helps you. I've been on many, many different drugs and my experience has taught me that it is worth trying anything once - so go for it. I think it is great you are asking for help. It shows that you care for yourself and that you are feeling more positive xxx

Hi

When I took a very low dose of mirtazapine, it made me sleep literally 20 hours a day. Sounds nice I guess but it wasn't.. It was no life really. I was signed off work and wasn't functioning. The 4 or so hours I was awake I would just eat so much! Didn't stay on the medication long!

But everyone is different and I've heard some people with good experiences of it. Hope it goes well for you.

Jenny x

I wasn't keen on this one at all - it felt like being run over by train - felt tired all the time, emotionally dead, increased appetite and on occasion just really tetchy...didn't enjoy it at all - also felt really ropy when I came off it.

Most people I've spoken to don't have great things to say about it.

KX

What are you symptoms? If, like me, you are an insomniac with anxiety that can cause you to have trouble eating, then you could find it useful. I do.

Bad affects for me are that I seem to have become more prone to anger and more aggressive since I've been on it, but I've learnt to adapt to now and control my anger a bit more.

I would say it's worth a try. Fluoxetine did nought for me too so maybe we are similar.

After reading some of the comments, I am not sure if I should take Mirtazapine, particularly after what my doctor said. I am quite paranoid about my weight in general, so to put weight on for me would be yet another issue I dont need.

I do want to try another SSRI drug though; Fluoxitine is doing nothing for me whatsoever, and I have been taking it for months now.

fluox was pants for me too - have you tried the old school TCAs ?

i found them to be excellent as ADs Anti-Anx as well as good sedative properties with no weight gain

awful dry mouth, but a glass of water by the bed saves you from that

some GPs dont like prescribing them though

Perhaps I am confusing them with MAOIs, but are they not the drugs where you need to be very careful with what foods you eat due to having bad side effects?

I was thinking of retrying Venlafaxine as well.

nah - you can eat what you want on these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricyclic_antidepressant

I had dothiepin and i have also had amitriptyline

in fact i still have amitrip these days a small dose as a kinda prn for anti-anx and sedative...

back in the days before SSRI (yes i am that old) these were the GPs first choice to prescribe, but they are more fatal in OD so they tend not to want to prescribe these first these days for obvious reasons !

Thanks Villan; I was going to be put on Amitriptaline, but then my GP up north disagreed with the GPs at uni for trying to put me on it. He has known me since I was a child, and thinks that drug may make me more tired for my studies and says you can get a dry mouth and have funny mouth movements??? Dont quote me though, it was a while ago he said it..

i got a dry mouth like i said

but that was all really...

the morning "drug hangover" wasnt too bad - made me a little sluggish in the morning, but nothing that wasn't cured by a cup of coffee...

Cool, well I will speak to one of the GPs when I return to uni in a few weeks, really need something to help me lift this awful mood!

good luck :)

just remember that they were OK for me - may not be for you - but if what you are on atm isnt cutting it, then there is nothing to lose by trying !

I have been on Mirtazepine in the past and I would take it before going to bed and within an hour, I was up and out of bed, eating something from the fridge whilst cooking something else!! And then when I did manage to get to sleep, I had awful nightmares and was taken off it after only a couple of weeks.

I agree with Villan on trying one of the old school types. I've started on Trazodone (it is a SARI - Serotonin Antagonist and Reuptake Inhibitor) nearly 5 weeks ago and I am sleeping like I haven't done for years and years and I am becoming more motivated and my mood is better. I haven't had any trouble with weight gain either on this. The worst of the side effects were down to be really mild after a couple of weeks and now I am just a bit groggy in the mornings which does go.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide to take and I really hope that it works for you. xx

Thanks Cats! :) I had considered Trazodone before, but I always thought it was for people who had bipolar or something else, I didnt think I would qualify for taking it. I think Fluoxitine has run its course to be honest xx

Archived