Mental Health Forums

Cousin Spoke To Me

Fuck-My-Life

I heard from Mum recently that my cousin had a breakdown. I had no idea he had depression either, but I sent him a little email two weeks ago saying that if he ever wanted to talk, I was here for him as I know how bad the pain is for depression etc, and left it as that; when I am unwell (not saying I'm good at the minute), I'd rather someone just left me but let me know I could talk to them when ready. There is nothing worse than someone demanding to know what's wrong etc, and I think its important to be supportive even from a distance for someone.

Just now, he MSNed me and thanked me for the email. We just had a little chat and said how we were both feeling. I would never ask or divulge any info he told me unless I was worried for his safety, as that would be disrespectful. Mentioned some good times we had when we were younger, playing computer games, felt good to talk about the happier times. Said he was more than welcome round to my flat back down at uni whenever he wanted, and he said ditto for going to see him at his.

I think this was the first time I have acted altruistically, and not expected a huge long "Oh thank you, you are so kind" sort of thing. Just really upset me to hear he was struggling and I know how crap depression is so wanted to offer some support to someone in need.

Not great myself at the minute; having intrusive thoughts from a problem, but trying to distract. Just about to go in for a back shift at the hospital, had one yesterday as well, and I think its good as I can help people who are unwell enough that they have to be in hospital x

Archived