Mental Health Forums

Anxiety Over My Pets

BlueBells

anyone else worry like hell that their pets are unwell, or as I prefer to see it hyper aware that something is wrong?

i lost a beloved pet some time ago and the vets didnt listen to me and I was right and she died. :(

now i have three cats, and i think one is unwell, i dont think i am being neurotic about it, as my partner agrees something isnt right, but i am doing is obsessing over it, worrying, checking if he is breathing etc.

he is going to the vets on monday so hopefully all will be ok

in the mean time i have to remain calm and not catastrophise but its bloody hard, i feel so strong that i cant lose him but i know one day i will :(

does anyone else understand?

If you have no "human" children then I often find that pets become surrogates.....but then couples with human children often berate "pet" owners for their devotions......they are all children at the end of the day.....some are just more hairy than others!! :)

(((bluebells)))

yes you are not alone with this. i was always worried about my pets health and was (still am) heartbroken when she died. i hope all goes well at the vets xxx

I understand this is a worry for a lot of people and I also understand that if I ever was to get a pet more substantial than a guinea pig I would really worry about their health as I get really attached to cats/dogs and the such. Well, actually I'm quite attached to Fred (the guinea pig) so much so that we are going to be keeping him in an indoor hutch from now on as I feel he is happier in here and talks and coos to us a lot more often in here. We just bought him a wooden bed/log house thing for his new hutch as he is currently in a metal run with a towel and that for the next few days and when Mike got some hay out for him today he talked to him and it was really cute! xxx

i have a dog, 2 cats, a kitten and 2 hamsters, yes i worry if they seem sick, just like i do with the kids, my kitten was sneezing for a few days, today he sneezed but seemed like he was going to be sick at same time, so rang our vets, and got him vet apt today, he was given injection, will be fine, but he didnt like the cat basket, so on the way home, i put him inside my baggy coat i was wearing and zipped it up, and he snuggled in purring!

Yeah i understand Bluebells coz i know cats are so adorable

and when they are around you can sense how they are feeling.

I think they are really kind and beautiful. xxxx.

i totally understand this. I have 4 guinea pigs and they are the love of my life. I constantly worry they are unwell or unhappy etc, and i try and do all i can to make them happy.

Its like having children i imagine. You just cant look after them enough.

We've found a lump under our cat's chin this morning and I have an appt at the vets this afternoon at 4pm - not taking any risks! It could be a scab where she has caught herself when she has been out and about or hubby says it might be a tic so we're off to the vets to make sure that all is well with her.

Thanks Cadance - it's weird that she has had nothing wrong for ages and then up comes this post and hubby finds something wrong. Will let you know what happens. xx

Rosie is OK - the vet thinks that she has picked up a tic but it has now fallen off and left a bit of an infection so he has given her a long lasting anti-biotic injection. So worry over thank goodness, lumps always make me think the worst. She's had her tea and is in her bed now fast asleep so all back to normal :)

yay glad she is fine hun, muffin my kitten had a cold, kept sneezing, i was worried he would have chest infection so took him to the vets yest, has upper tract thingy, think posh word for cold! but also got an injection.

Thanks Cadance and Roses - am pleased that Muffin is OK Cad and that he will get over his cold soon.

I love the sound of Fred's new home Roses, can we see a pic?

xx

Here are a couple of photos of Fred's new cage. One with door shut and one open. He is still shy of being indoors and runs inside his little house when we come too near. Luckily the roof comes off for easy access to pick him up and once he is out he is perfectly happy on our laps or a towel on the floor munching on something fresh. He particularly likes the leafy parts of cauliflower! We chose a wooden house so he could chew that as well LOL, he's been nibbling the door and window as well as his yellow munching block...

thanks cats

roses- love the cage and house, he will soon get used to been inside, as a child/teenager i had 40 guinea pigs! i bred them, and knew them all by name!

I am totally neurotic over my pets! I have a beautiful tuxedo cat named Sweetpea and I love her dearly, if the least little thing seems "off" I'm on the phone to her vet!

She is definitely my "baby"--my mom is crazy about her too! :wub:

Hi Im new to this board,saw this & thought i would respond,My beautiful Bullmastiff became suddenly ill last Thursday & died 4 hours after the vet trying to work on her,i am left feeling devastated,i lost my Mum 4 months ago tomorrow & my anxieties over death are overtaking my mind,even to the point of not letting my children out of the house.I totally empathise with how you are feeling,i have been watching my 2 other bullmastiffs like a hawk.i got my Missys ashes back this morning & i just feel numb:(

Archived