Mental Health Forums

Imipramine. Please Tell Me Someone Is On It?

ILostHer

Is anyone on this?

My psych gave it to me today, I was expecting Wellbrutin but he asked me to try this first. He said although it is a anti depressant and I don't have depression it is also used to treat adhd and he thinks it will help me. He told me to carry on taking the Concerta and the Ritalin (the ritalin is a top up dose when the concerta wears off) both of them are adhd drugs.

I know my head is at it's best when I have taken stimulants, I have self medicated a lot with either street stimulants or just overdosed on caffine pills, energy drinks, diet pills for a long time.

I don't have adhd at all by the way.

I'm quite gutted, as I wanted the Wellbrutin. And the thing is that Wellbrutin is also a stimulant and used to treat adhd. So I am wondering if anyone knows the difference between Imipramine and Wellbrutin?

So does anyone know why adhd drugs would help me or what Imipramine is like? Does anyone else find stimulants help them?

I asked him to promise it wouldn't make me hungry (I hate food being in me) but he wouldn't! And I read that a severe side affect is rapid weight gain and I have this huge fear that if I take it, I will wake up and be huge! Just like overnight. It says to go to hospital if this happens! What image does that conjur up!? I am too scared to take it now. I absolutley have to stay under a certain weight.

I really hope someone has taken it. I wish I had the Wellbrutin now. I am so stupid. I am really starting to think he thinks I have adhd! My psych doesn't like telling me what is wrong with me.

God, I really bloody waffle don't I!?

Don't know anything about those ones I'm afraid lovely, but really hope they help. I always imagine the worst case scenario when I read side effects of meds, I think its best I just don't look at it really. I used to be really bad with caffeine pills and energy drinks but have completely cut caffeine and alcohol out now, but the temptation's always there. Sorry this isn't any help but just wanted to say I hope they help :) hugs xxx

I'm on Clomipramine, which I believe is in the same family. It makes me drowsy and I've put on a bit of weight. Also it hasn't helped my symptoms at all. But of course medication affects different people in different ways.

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't take the first one. But will tonight. I have decided to try them and I see my psych in just under a month again and will ask for the Wellbrutin. I don't really want a anti depressant as i don't suffer depression. But I suppose he knows what he's doing.

If they have no side affects and help with the anxiety, that would be good. Because I could stop taking so many of the clonazepam. We shall see. But any hunger on them and I will have to stop.

xx

I tried this one for a while. While on it I lost rather than gained weight. It had quite a dramatic effect on me with both my mood and anxiety being a lot better. Unfortunately for me it then started to affect my gut so I was always on the loo and at risk of becoming dangerously dehydrated and had to stop. It's definately worth a try in my view. I thought I had found "the one" for a few weeks. Good luck with it.

Hi Shadow girl, even though short lived I am glad it helped you. Do you remember how long it took to work?

I took the first one on Friday and I have noticed worse mood (might not be the tablets though) and really bad lifelike dreams. Never had dreams like them.

I hate starting new meds.

Thanks for replying x

Archived