Mental Health Forums

Venlaflaxine Side Effects

abee.abee1991

Just wondering has this happened to anybody else who take venlaflaxine.

Does your body 'tell you' when it wants the next dose? I always get dizzy up to 6 hours before I am meant to take my next dose and it is driving me insane. The dizziness is so extreme to the point I can't move an inch or I will be sick.

Has this happened to any of you before? This has happened to one of my sisters friends and she is trying to get a hold of him to find out what happened, whether he had to change tablets. What did you have to do for it to stop?

LBB x

How long have you been on them? It sounds like you may be having an adverse reaction to them? Have you read the information that came with them about contraindications and the such? I would advise you speak to your GP/Pdoc about this sooner rather than later. I hope they can help and that you feel better soon xxx

Gosh I cant remember how long I have been on these now must be 6 months or more?. I have a GP phone call on Monday so I may mention it to him then although it wasn't my GP who started me on them it was my Pdoc but I no longer see one now.

LBB x

Yeah, I'd mention it to the GP on Monday. Have the symptoms been there from day one or just started? That would tell you if it was the meds or something else? Could you be getting dizzy for another reason like anaemia or anything like that? x

The dizziness wasn't there at first it has been happening on and off for a few months I guess but it is getting worse. I have blood tests to check everything is okay because I am on lithium tablets as well thats why I have a phone call on Monday to get the results back. Thanks for your help Rose, really appreciate it

LBB x

You are welcome, yes it could be to do with the lithium. I used to be on that for about 4 years but I'm on something different now as I didn't like it at all. Hope the results help you get to the bottom of what's going on xxx

Venlafaxine does have some nasty side effects for some people, especially if a dose is missed or late. I've never heard of it before the next dose is due though. Definately mention it when you have your phone call on monday.

I also only get those effects if i am late with a dose or forget to take it then it is exactly as you describe. I have never got them before a dose is due.

M x

hi,

ive been on these for approx six months after the doc basically didnt know what to prescribe and i wanted to try diff ant d's before starting any new types of things.. my experiences have been starting on a low dose headaches and pretty bad nausea to start with that lasted several weeks. since then and i cant claim to have taken them 100% on time and the dose was increased if i miss them for say 24-48 hours i start feeling strange muscle spasms its hard to describe but i feel in my chest a kind of tense ness and flutter which feels odd. then ive noticed if i dont take any i get really bad night sweats and nightmares. ive tried this out by accident mainly my memory is not great but it never seems to happen unless i miss a couple doses.

also when i had been like this for a couple days i thought i better take that whole 24hr dose in one go and then felt really wired, couldnt sit still. couldnt be quiet and kinda jumpy.

for me personally they dont seem to work but that doesnt mean they dont for you i dont want to make you feel worried im just saying my experience. good luck and talk to your doc or whoever about your meds and dosage etc.

The only time I have felt dizzy to the point of sickness was when I was taking the non-modified release version of venlafaxine (and then only for the first few days).

Hi,

I take 225mg of Venlafaxine as part of a "cocktail" of drugs ! I have to say that I have experienced nausea and dizziness even before my next dose is due ! I know that lots of people have problems with Venlafaxine - I have been reading a book ( Shoot the Damn Dog ) and the woman describes her horrible experiences of Venlafaxine too.

Hope you get it sorted - you could really do without extra physical symptoms to cope with !

x

Hi

Are you taking the tablet or the time-release version? The time-release is a plastic coated capsule, the tablet is, erm, tabletty. Yellow I think.

Venlafaxine has a very short 'half life' which means it exits the body very rapidly. The tablet form is more quickly absorbed than the time-release version, and so if your body is flushing it through quite rapidly, it may be you are going into venlafaxine's famous withdrawal. Wobbly limbs and nausea all sound very familiar.

There might be a capsule that is NOT XR. Make sure and see if you are on the XR version :) It takes longer to be absorbed and so might help you.

I take...

Venlaflaxine (efexor) XL 75mg (prolonged release capsules) 2 tablets daily.

and

Priadel (lithium) 200mg (prolonged release tablets) 3 tablets a day.

along with all my other non MH prescribed tablets (they have been checked against both MH tablets for combination side effects and they don't effect them)

Thanks all for you replies, will let you know when I spoke to gp tomorrow

LBB

Doctor rang up, blood tests came back normal which is good. Told him about the venlaflaxine and he said ....

it is a horrible side effects which is common with venlaflaxine, we can either give you another tablet to counteract the dizziness, lower the dose you are on but I advise against that because of how bad you are feeling at the minute and lowering your dose could be dangerous for you, (and finally was to) stick with it and see how it goes which I would prefer you to do.

So I got to stick with it for now until I can't handle it anymore, I am already starting to get withdrawals from it and I am not allowed to take my next dose until 10pm tonight so I have got to suffer for 4 and a half hours

LBB x

I take 300mg venlafaxine slow release at night startting at low dose and gradually moving up, think there should be 10days between raising the dose. If it is raised too quickly I think side effects are more likely, My dose is higher than recommended, I also take lamotrogine and quetiapine, yes a big concoction.

I do recall some dizziness to begin with. I continue to have night sweats and some brain zaps at nigh, which dont bother me.

If I miss 2 doses I get totally wired. and dread the day I start reducing it.

supposed to be a really good one and it did get me out of a deep depression.

so would suggest you give it a few weeks. more

I have been on the same dosage as I am on now for over 4 months so I know it's not because I have increased/decreased the amount but thank you for your reply Christine

LBB x

LBB, you say you take two 75mg tablets a day. Do you take them together or 12 hours apart? I just remembered that years ago I used to take two 75mg at two separate times of the day and I ended up changing to 150mg once a day. I know I changed due to undesirable side effects but I can't remember which side effect(s). (The problem was solved by the change though). Just a thought... xx

Taking it separately sounds like a good idea. So sorry you have to stick with it until it is unbearable but perhaps you will adjust, is this what they are hoping? xxx

I was on one in the morning and the other at night but this got changed as I kept forgetting to take the morning one so take them both at night now. I have always had dizziness with this tablet but it never has been this bad.

I don't know what he is hoping really. I know he definitely does not want me to lower the dose because of how low I am and that he is worried I will slip further. He doesn't want me to take another tablet to counteract because he knows when I feel bad like now I tend to take OD's and not tell anybody. So I have to stick with it for aslong as I can another words either way I am screwed... :angry2:

LBB x

Archived