Mental Health Forums

Young Adult - More Reasons I Hate Movies

Yaz

Last night I watched Young Adult, starring Charlize Theron. I find it highly unrealistic and call BS. I buy Charlize's character, but I don't buy the story. It just wouldn't happen.

Number one: what man wouldn't leave their wife for Charlize Theron? Especially if she was throwing herself at you. None. It's just craziness. And two: if you had a wife that was in a band called "The Nipple Confusion", you would dump them way before Charlize turned up. Seriously.

Makes me angry.

Can I ask you why a film angers you? I don't know the film you are talking about, not seen or heard of it. I am surprised you feel angry at what is probably just a badly made film or idea. I watch Midsomer Murders, the few time and it is rare, that the endings have been poor I've felt a little cheated, is it like that for you?

I watched Midsomer last night. I like it because there are always ugly people like me.

I don't feel cheated, as much as I feel lied to. I feel really, really deceived. Like they think I'm stupid and can brainwash me with these illogical ideas - i.e. someone will love me even though I've got a face like a magpie.

I wonder why that is?

You are hard on yourself, why is that? I find Midsomer (obviously the most dangerous place in England) soothing, something I can really get lost in. Might watch an episode this afternoon now!

I don't think a film that is badly made is made to deceive, perhaps just for a less intelligent audience than yourself.

I'm sorry if the movie made you feel that way, but don't take it as such a severe insult towards yourself. Movies are made strictly for entertainment/educational purposes. They're not to offend; some are actually made to bring light to barely talked about subjects (Girl,Interrupted for example; I didn't mind the movie myself actually)

I've never seen the movie, but even given the description it doesn't sound like it's geared towards you. Love is a very complex word that we're all looking for, can search for what seems like an endless time to find, and yet somehow everyone around us has already seemed to have found it. When all you do is focus on the negative, your mind doesn't have room to focus on the positive, so take the challenge and list 3 (start at 3, and slowly progress from there. This is hard when you're not used to doing it; I'm a prime example) things you like about yourself. Say those 3 things to yourself each day. Then list 4 things next week. and so forth.

If romantic movies trigger your negative thoughts, maybe it's time to find another genre for a bit (action perhaps?).

Heylo there

I get annoyed at films and tv all the time. I dont even have a tv because its full of what you call BS. My reasoning for not liking them is because they are unrealistic. When I was younger I could happily sit and watch crap and not think much about it, but now I cant be bothered with it! Im getting angry thinking of it, so I think I get where youre coming from. Maybe you should get rid of your tv!!!!

But on a serious note you know what is unrealistic? The idea that love is based on looks. If somebody only loved the way you look that isnt love. And also why would you want to be with someone that only wants you for the way you look? You deserve someone to love ALL of you.

Still I hope you dont watch that film again, I certainly wont be watching it :)

Louladoll

Archived