Mental Health Forums

Information Sheets That Come With Tablets..

abee.abee1991

Okay so decided to read my venlafaxine information sheet that comes with the medicines. It says about serotonin syndrome and gives a list of medicines which with venlaflaxine it can occur. "Other medicines to treat depression, for instance SNRIs, SSRIs, tricyclics, or medicines containing lithium" Well I take Priadel which is a lithium based tablet... I carry on reading and it says "Products containing tryptophan (used for problems such as sleep and depression) so I checked my Trazodone leaflet and luckily it doesn't contain that but on th Trazodone leaflet it says "Some medicines may interact with Trazodone, ...... serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) (eg, duloxetine, venlafaxine)"

So basically I am on these three tablets and each one can counteract with each other!

My old pdoc put me on venlaflaxine and lithium last year sometime and my GP put me on trazodone last october.

I have GP appointment Thursday, and the CMHT are reviewing my 'case' on Wednesday to see whether I need to go back to them for help.

LBB x

pdoc>GP for this stuff.

Ignore GP for now in my opinion, don't go against what the leaflets say, and a pharmacist can give you better information and advice and usually offer free appointments.

and speaking from experience, serotonin syndrome is something to be avoided at all costs, horrible experience, certainly one to bring up with pdoc as soon as - but as a reasureance , you would have to combine meds in fairly large amounts to induce serotonin syndrome

I hope you manage to resolve your issues with the medication. As is said here I often ask my pharmacist advice and find them better qualified than the GP many times. You have to feel confident on the tablets you are on, especially if you are on a cocktail. I used to be too. I was on about 6/7 tablets and it was a nightmare but I am now on a much sleaker regime and finding I am more alert with the symptoms still being treated. I wish you best of luck with the review. xxx

Archived