Mental Health Forums

Theraputic Community

rmorgan_uk

Hi

I have recently been given an assesment date for entering a 5 day a week therapy programme, which will last for one year. I am currently in the prep group stage. You have to do this prep group first. It's supposed to prepare you to enter the full time programme. However i have been reliably informed that it really doesnt.

So i was wondering if anyone here has experienced this form of therapy. And if so would you be able to give me any insight into what it's like.

Any info would be appreciated thankscool.png

the one in leicster is supposed to be good- i got offered a different route

i dont think anything can prepare you fully till you get there but do tell them you are worried

Lucy

TY From what ive been told the leicester one is the oldest in the uk. Just getting a little apprehensive. But im hoping that as hard as i expect it will be, it could be a way to finally get these issues of mine under control.

Hi,

I haven't had any experience of this either although would be intrigued to hear of any experiences. It sounds like a great opportunity to work through things while being fully supported although I totally understand your feelings of apprehension as it's a big commitment and most probably not an easy ride.

I really hope it goes well for you and I also hope there is aftercare post-treatment? This could be just my anxieties but I'd be wondering what happens after the year is up.. i hope there is some follow up support. Maybe a question to ask if you haven't already :)

Jenny

Hi,

I haven't had any experience of this either although would be intrigued to hear of any experiences. It sounds like a great opportunity to work through things while being fully supported although I totally understand your feelings of apprehension as it's a big commitment and most probably not an easy ride.

I really hope it goes well for you and I also hope there is aftercare post-treatment? This could be just my anxieties but I'd be wondering what happens after the year is up.. i hope there is some follow up support. Maybe a question to ask if you haven't already smile.png

Jenny

There is a support group that continues after the year is up. Which is for a cople of hours a week. Designed to help you transition back into work, college, or whatever it is you go onto so thats good.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a five day a week therapy in a BPD day unit from 2008 - 2009.

Being similar to a therapeutic community, it was mostly group therapy (along with art, writing, gardening and social group) directed by therapists, art therapists, mental health nurses and psychiatrists.

We did have an indvidual session once a week too (which I definitely preferred!).

I found it overwhelming to have to:

1. be around others so much

2. talk about my thoughts and feeling so much

and quit before it was supposed to end (usually a 2 year duration).

It's just a lot for someone who primarily has social anxiety disorder/avoidant personality disorder,

I know many, many others felt better at the end, precisely becausethey had the opportunity to talk and be around people with knowledge of their issues.

I hope you find the therapy useful and that it works out well for you, Moggy.

sk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I was wondering how you have been getting on?

I have been observing a TC this week and I can really see the benefits of being in one.

i did a three day a week one. it was very helpful. before i went i was very reclusive and found being around people very hard because i didn't trust them and thought they would hate me. but i made a couple of friends and the mst important thing i learnt was that i could be angry with someone without it being the end of the relationship and vice versa. it was pretty intense but very helpful and i am better at going out and engaging in life now than before i went. good luck xx

Archived