Mental Health Forums

A&e

lauraw2693

I was just wondering of other peoples experiences of going to A&E for sh or ods, mainly because I am scared..

I've been 3 times in a week, twice for sh and once for an od, and over the past month or so have been numerous times. Sometimes I see crisis sometimes I see psychiatric nurses/doctors, I have been asked about admitting myself a few times but said no.

Its got to the point several doctors there are recognising me, which to me means I'm going too often. I go partly to get wounds sorted but more for the psychological help. I often think of contacting the crisis team as I'm allowed to self-refer but many times I have they cannot come out the same day and tell me to go to A&E or I wait til things get worse then go anyway.

Crisis have told me not to contact them if I have already sh/od in case they aren't in the office and can't respond quickly, they say getting medical help is important.. which is fine but now I'm worried I'm pissing people off at the A&E department, especially general doctors and nurses who don't understand DID and probably think I'm attention seeking.

My main fear is if I keep going they will eventually section me, are there any rules on this kind of thing? :unsure:

I don't have any answers to your questions Hun, I don't know :S, Just wanted to send you massive hugs and much love,

Hope you have a much better day today and get some support if you need it.

any rules - no

if you need to go go maybe they dont understand did and yes they will recognise but they should still treat you with respect

i go alot to a&e for self harm about twice a month always to the same place and they are fine with me

sounds like you need to sort out more permant help and support for yourself rather than crisis if thats somthing you can access

Lucy

Hi hun, sectioning is the last resort in cases.

I was sectioned while i was voluntary in mental hospital, not sure why and how serious it has to be.

Dont worry on the doctors getting to know u, i hope they are sympathetic to ur needs and dont judge. I havent had a very bad experience in AE, but it does all depend on who it is ect. Iff they knew u i would of thought they would show more compassion.

huggles toots x

Thanks for all the replies, there are a couple of general doctors who are always pleasant and take notice of all of me (we take a little cuddly because my younger parts are scared of hospitals).

I had an unexpected visit from my cpn today, I asked her this and she said no I'm doing the right thing, especially if I need medical attention to go no matter how many times it is, as long as its helping its the right thing to do. She said if the staff had concerns I was misusing their services they would contact her but she also said she understands the reasons I can't always contact crisis.

She did try and reassure me as it is a particularly bad time at the moment, leading up to something very triggering, so I am needing more support. They're trying to sort out some respite for me at the moment so hopefully the A&E trips are enough til then if I'm not pissing anyone off..

Thanks for the hugs, really need them right now! xxx

hi hun

sorry if i scared u, i would have been sectioned. i know it, cos my psych (one of) works in a n e, and he was gonna section me when i hadnt od-ed / sh-ed (but hubby convinved me to go voluntary, crisis i think would have sectioned me too) but had the means and was not been me (but others would think i was just rude)

Lol you're right there Data.. It wasn't you that scared me Cad, I've been thinking about it for a little while, always worried about it.. xxx

hopefully if your care team pull together and can give u good support they wont see the need to, mine has always been a bit weak, hopefully wil improve, so may be y for me

Last time i SH'd badly enough to warrant a visit to A&E, the nurse who stitched me up was lovely.

She even apologised for the LA stinging and told me when it was going in.

She asked me if i would like to speak to the crisis team, but guessed correctly that i didn't but the offer was there.

She didn't give me hassle or see me as an attention seeker, just someone who was sick and needed support.

Archived