Mental Health Forums

Bpd

Song

Ok, I asked my husband who is a teacher what the diff was between a simile and a metaphor and he said "not much", lol ^_^ , so here goes...

I was thinking that we can define BPD any way we feel like, for some it could be purely biological or genetic, for some it could be emotional and for others it could be purely spiritual. It could even be elements of all three for that matter. It could come down to nature or nurture.

Whatever it's cause is, I am not sure, I have a definition that I have chosen that suits me just fine, so that is not my point.

To me, whatever the cause of it is, if you compare it a biological model,BPD is like having a naturally low emotional resistance. Anything can upset the balance, and it doesn't usually take much. Like a low immune system, or something like what happens to people who experience chemical sensitivity, except emotionally speaking. Most people for instance wouldn't be bothered by the common everyday occurances/products that would cause upset, but for people with BPD, everything sinks straight in, deeply, and this sends the sensory functions into serious overdrive. Like an emotional allergic reaction, anaphylactic shock for the emotions.

We can do things to control this if we look at it from this point of view. Prevention for example, avoiding definite triggers for sure, allowing ourselves a little more extra time to recover when crisis or upset occurs, allowing ourselves to treatment without guilt or condemnation, even on little levels. For example again, you wouldn't send someone who has hayfever out to run through a field or work in a flower shop until their antihistamines kick in would you? No way. you wouldn't put a lobster or a plate of muscles in front of someone with a known shellfish allergy would you and demand that they eat it and just "get over it" would you?

We have be proactive and focus on what prevents these attacks, instead of being retroactive and trying to clean up all the messes at once. Either way, none of these methods change our "being", they are just forms of management.

What about desensitization? I believe it CAN work, like the person who has allergies to peanuts or pollens gets slowly desensitised through gradual chemical enhancements. I think it can also work for BPD's, use the past experiences to BUILD yourself up, not to tear yourself down. I don't believe the skin will necesarily get thicker, but I do believe it can be layered to appear and act like such. The barrier can get thicker and the sensory response can be controlled.

I dunno, I just got philosophical there for a moment ~hope you all get what I mean.

Just remember in the worst of times, you wouldn't expect a person who is sick with the flu to function at normal levels, so the same goes for BPD episodes. Pat yourself on the back, give yourself some chicken noodle for the soul, hug yourself for trying and hope in healing and recovery.

C ya. -_-

Song,

I gotta agree with you on most of what you said.

I not only understand what you said, i think you said it well.

thx,

bets

I understand and agree with what you have said, i just wish i could cut myself some slack when it gets bad instead of beating myself up

You have hit the nail on the head! We do need to be more proactive - damage control and all that. I come out of a chaotic week thinking "Well, I'm glad that's over!" and look around me at the devestation I have caused.

Verbena

a smilie like " like a cat on a hot tin roof" comapre somthing with the cat ie jack danced around like a cat on a hot tin roof, jacks actions are similar to that of the cat, similes us as or like and compare one thing with the other

a metephor like "life is a bitch" gives humansitic qualites to somthing that isnt human " food for thought" it is a figure of speech that is used to represent somthing else

having that out the way, yes we should look after ourselfs more when we feel low

lucy

Archived