Mental Health Forums

Drawing Attempt

wordsmithy

After seeing Saharah Blue stunning watercolour of a pool, I tried to get past my own creative block.

It's not a great standard admittedly (you can see how messily done it is)

but to be honest it's been very very hard to draw lately and I did get quite frustrated doing this one.

But hey, at least I tried and its A3 sized which is brave considering how I'm scared to go bigger than A5.

vmsketchsmall.jpg

Time to get a few beers in. :)

i like messy - it looks fab to me

wish i could draw like that

nothing wrong with it at all, well done hope it starts those creative feelings once again

emo xx

Seriouskid,

You pick a difficult subject, portraiture is always challenging (i think at least). Your work looks good, and I am guessing you are wanting to tighten up your technique and that is why you are not over the moon? Or, is it a critical voice trying to tell you can't make great art? Which is rarely your own voice btw.

With the pool it is actually the second study that worked, the first one the jacket was all off and a huge paint turquoise colored paint bead ran down the page. Not good stuff. So, rather than run to failure in my mind. I called the 2 painting what they really were, studies, because if the second one hadn't worked out I would have tried it again at another time. So, look at this as a study toward the kind of portraiture you are craving to do.

keep giving yourself permission to create

xoxo,

sah

p.s. I messed another landscape up last night with one misjudged amount of black paint on my brush. I scrubbed it out, but the seascape is too small to recover, so this morning. I am starting over. I take note of the areas that were challenging and will practice them before I put pain to paper. I did that with the jacket and I had 5 studies of jackets, before I actually laid any paint.

I like it Serious Kid, and think Sah's given some great ideas about ways of thinking of certain images as a study.

I very rarely use colour or paints cos terrified of getting it 'wrong' which is why i hide behind me pencil, but think maybe I could try to approach it like Sah does.

Anyway good work as always and also 'messy' conveys emotion through the piece.

x

Thanks everyone... I live in fear that if I post a drawing and there's no replies I'll know that it was terrible so... thanks muchly.

Silverwolf, yeah same with me when it comes to colour or paint: it's a risk. I am terrified that my mistakes will be irretrievable. Anytime I've painted and mixed colours it's being stressful and anxiety-provoking. Recently I cried whilst painting something because it felt so hard.

Saharah Blue, I've got so many issues re: my relationship with my artwork, I feel like I could spend forever talking about it and not resolve these problems.

Yes, I'm harshly critical with my stuff, along with everything else about me and from me. But then again my technique could always do with tightening up... do I have the ability to improve though?

You have to have a certain amount of stamina to keep going, to keep trying, drawing and creating, to experiment, take a risk. You need to keep going and sometimes just being around other artists can help.

Often I have to force myself to draw. I wonder if I really like art at all in the first place. Do I want to be an artist at all?

Then again maybe these problems are there because I care that mcuh about art and being an artist. Which has definitely got to be a good sign. :)

hey there i love this drawing the 'messy' style is so expressive i find that my style is too controlled and just wouldnt have the confidence to attempt a portrait...thanks for posting it

Archived