Mental Health Forums

Dbt Start

Shadow girl

I just had a call from the DBT service. I can go tomorrow to start pre-commitment therapy! I can't believe it. Last I heard they thiught it might be by the end of March so thi is much sooner than expected, and because it is only tomorrow I won't have too much time to get terrified about what it will involve. So, I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'll be very interested to hear exactly what pre committment stuff involves so i know what to expect.

Also today we heard that our tenancy which has been bery uncertain for two years is 99.9% about to be made long term and secure. We will have a secure home for the first time in years! I can't believe two things have gone right for me in one day. It's unheard of!

Hiya Shadow Girl,

That's great news, about DBT and your home.

Pre commitment therapy is when your assigned therapist see's you once a week for about 4 weeks and explains DBT in depth, what's going to happen, what they will do as a therapist, what you will have to do, what group will be like, what your main issues are that need working on, what the rules are, and whether you think DBT will be the right therapy for you. After pre commitment is up, you will sign paperwork, do a bunch of tick box questionaires like the millon test, suicide risk questionaire and dissociation questionaire etc, these give the therapy team a baseline on what your past and current issues are and you will do these every 3 months whilst in therapy (i think, maybe a little longer, i forget). Then usually your assigned pre commitment therapist will be your DBT therapist and then you will start with the group.

Best of luck.

Aurora :)

Thanks Aurora, that's really helpful. They'd told me it was when i'd get to know my keyworker and they'd explain how DBT works but I was struggling to see why that would take so many weeks. It makes sense now. Even though I've less than 24 hours to think about it I'm really nervous now.

x

I was nervous when i first went, i didn't know what to expect at all.

But after the ice was broken and we got talking, i felt much better.

You will do ok. If you are nervous, tell them, they will understand.

Aurora :)

Hi, I received a phone call last Tuesday, someone had dropped out and I was next on the list. Because the new group started today though I had to see my therapist twice last week and again this week to learn about it before it started. It has been a really busy 9 weeks with a LOT to take in.

I am really glad I had those appointments with my DBT therapist first though as not only have we got to know each other a little we also got the questionnaires out the way and I had an idea what to expect today at my first group meeting. Having said that it wasn't what I was expecting and I took very little in.

I think what didn't help in my case was we started with a mindfulness exercise and there was just no way I could relax in a room full of strangers so it set my paranoia straight off. I spent the whole 2 1/2 hrs forcing myself to stay and took very little in BUT.. Having thought it over all afternoon the way it went was due to MY problems, NOT the group itself, and I had been told it was unlikely I would take much in at first. I can see how with time and commitment it really will be a good thing and that it wasn't a waste of time, the very fact I went and stayed is a good thing and it has made me think about myself and groups. I was told it would be a long slow process and not to expect too much of myself at first so overall, I am quite pleased and still really looking forward to being able to learn the skills they teach.

I'm sure you will be ok, they do understand how hard/scarey it is to start and your individual therapist will give you a lot of support through it

Great news on the house as well :)

I met my DBT worker and she seemed ok. She gave me loads of paperwork and I took a bunch of questionairres home to do for next time. It was all a bit much to take in, but I think I am going to get on with her so that's a good start. I'm not sure how many weeks the pre committment stuff goes on - I've a hunch it might be six weeks. With travel its going to tie me down for 7 hours a week. Scary!

This is brilliant news Shadow. As you may remember I am waiting for the pre-treatment therapy anytime as well. I think the initial 6-8 weeks are geared to making sure you are up for the commitment of DBT as far as I am lead to believe. Best of luck and so glad that you are being seen xxx

Best of luck, I have found DBT to be so helpful, even when I think its not working, the skills I learned while doing it have made my emotional world so much more manageable, but I wasn't able to see it for years and years. It is worth it and I am greatful I had the chance to do it.

when i was in the group we had to do mindfulness at the start of every session shalaine! i hated it! some i just drifted off, but they didnt mind, it was to see which worked, and to try and pull yourself back to task on hand! we had a lot of marsha lineham, i found her hard work! i cant concentrate v long and her programmes bored me! but second time round lol, i made a comment about how i was bored of her, as had seen mindfullness one loads , and they listened and stopped her for the rest of my course!

but there is some useful stuff, and some that u will think is obvious but it is just adding to your set of coping mechanisms, and they will ask u to try the mindfulness, or whatever section u are on at home, but know u will find it hard at first. so dont be worried.

every week for my 1:1 i had to fill in forms, saying if sh-ed etc, and mood etc, and could take about any sh or od there as not allowed in group as it could trigger others, and they had a telephone help line where they would remind u of dbt skills, or teach u them over the phone if u hadnt learnt them yet (9am-5pm)

I started practice mindfulness while having a bath, so it was easier to not be distracted that was a really good starting point for taking into my real life, just a quick note.

Archived