Mental Health Forums

I Am Going To The Theatre On My Own On Saturday

Villan

I was bored at work so I logged on to one of the local online newspapers for my area and happened across a review for a production at a theatre not too far away from me and it was for one of my fave operettas...

So I went online to the theatre website and found that there is a matinee performance on Saturday...

So... I booked me a ticket and I am going to see it...

Soooooooo excited... :)

The production is Iolanthe - it is a wonderful story with fairies and peers and loads of lovely music and also has my fave song from all of the G&S operas in it... I am going to post the lyrics to it in the next post and I think maybe you will understand why I like it so much cos I suffered from bad insomnia and nightmares as a kiddie and my nightmares i used to get used to change and switch weirdly just like described in the song...

It is a difficult song to sing and I hope the chap does it justice cos it gets rather fast and is a little tongue twistery... Sorry it is so long... I have even cut a bit from the beginning...

Only 2 more sleeps - sooooo excited that I am not at all phased at the 2 buses (or bus and train - not decided yet) and then 1/2 hour walk to get there...

Wish me luck... :) :)

The Nightmare Song

a song from "Iolanthe", 1882, by Gilbert and Sullivan; lyrics by William Gilbert

When you're lying awake with a dismal headache

And repose is taboo'd by anxiety,

I conceive you may use any language you choose

To indulge in, without impropriety;

For your brain is on fire, the bed-clothes conspire

Of usual slumber to plunder you:

First your counter-pane goes, and uncovers your toes,

And your sheet slips demurely from under you;

Then the blanketing tickles, you feel like mixed pickles,

So terribly sharp is the pricking,

And you're hot and you're cross, and you tumble and toss,

'Til there's nothing twixt you and the ticking.

Then the bedclothes all creep to the ground in a heap,

And you pick 'em all up in a tangle;

Next your pillow resigns, and politely declines

To remain at its usual angle!

When you get some repose in the form of a doze,

With hot eyeballs and head ever aching,

Your slumbering teems with such horrible dreams

That you'd very much better be waking;

For you dream you are crossing the channel, and tossing

About in a steamer from Harwich,

Which is something between a large bathing machine

And a very small second class carriage,

And you're giving a treat (penny ice and cold meat)

To a party of friends and relations,

They're a ravenous horde, and they all come aboard

At Sloane Square and South Kensington stations.

And bound on that journey, you find your attorney

(who started this morning from Devon);

He's a bit undersized and you don't feel surprised

When he tells you he's only eleven.

Well, you're driving like mad with this singular lad

(By the by, the ship's now a four-wheeler),

And you're playing round games, and he calls you bad names

When you tell him that ties pay the dealer;

But this you can't stand, so you throw up your hand,

And you find you're as cold as an icicle,

In your shirt and your socks (the black silk with gold clocks)

Crossing Salisbury Plain on a bicycle.

And he and the crew are on bicycles too,

Which they've somehow or other invested in,

And he's telling the tars all the particulars

Of a company he's interested in;

It's a scheme of devices, to get at low prices

All goods from cough mixtures to cables

(Which tickled the sailors) by treating retailers

As though they were all vegetables:

You get a good spadesman to plant a small tradesman

(first take off his boots with a boot tree),

And his legs will take root, and his fingers will shoot,

And they'll blossom and bud like a fruit tree;

From the greengrocer tree you get grapes and green peas,

Cauliflower, pineapple and cranberries,

While the pastry-cook plant cherry brandy will grant,

Apple puffs, and three corners, and banburys;

The shares are a penny and ever so many

Are taken by Rothschild and Bering,

And just as a few are allotted to you, you awake

With a shudder, despairing...

You're a regular wreck

With a crick in your neck,

And no wonder you snore

for your head's on the floor

And you've needles and pins

From your soles to your shins,

And your flesh is acreep

For your left leg's asleep,

And you've cramp in your toes

And a fly on your nose,

And some fluff in your lung

And a feverish tongue,

And a thirst that's intense

And a general sense

That you haven't been sleeping in clover;

But the darkness has passed, and it's daylight at last!

The night has been long, ditto, ditto my song,

And thank goodness they're both of them over!

oh wow, sweetie!! This is awesome!!!

:D :D :D Hope you have a fabulous time. Good luck hun, though I have a feeling you won't need it.

much love

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks all... Ima pretty chuffed wiv meself atm... Still excited I think... Must remember charge my mp3 player for the journey...

And plan how I get there and somewhere to eat and lots of other stuff... Omg what am I gonna wear? Eeks... Worms, can of... Lol...

Bedtime I think... Worry bout rest tomorrow...

:) xxx

wow... woke up to all these posts !

Thank you EVERYONE...

I used to go theatre alot with my Dad when I was younger... I have been to things on my own, but not in a very long time... I have noone to go to these things with these days, but then I just thought well, I can go cinema on my own with no hassle albeit not done that in a few years, I guess I could try theatre...

Annoyed this morning cos weather is showing being pants for tomorrow :( but the town I am going to has nice shops so maybe I just get there earlier and do a bit of shopping too, make a whole day of it... I have a bit saved up from cycling now I got rid of car and I guess I deserve a bit of a treat...

:hug2: and love to everyone...

This sounds really cool and I hope you enjoy that sense of unbridled freedom you get from doing things alone. Sorry to hear that the weather's going to be minging but most theatres tend to have a roof and it affords you an opportunity to buy yourself a snazzy raincoat whilst you're in town. Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time :) x

thanks Daisy and CWP

lol re theatres having roofs - it's more the 1/2 hour walk from bus station to theatre and having to sit in wet clothes that i was irked about !

but then i guess that's what taxis are for !

actually - i once got kicked out of a cinema in the same town - well not me personally, we all got kicked out - cos it was lashing down and the roof was leaking rain onto the electrical box and they thought that was rather dangerous... so you may jest but.... !!!

I hope you have a great time. It is good going places on your own because you can just do what you need, when i'm by myself it comforts me to know i can go home at anytime if i need to and knowing that makes it much easier to relax and then i'm less likely to need to go home. I hope it doesnt rain! xxx

Thanks Jasmine and Emma xxx

And Emma, so true, it's why i actually prefer to go cinema on my own, just in case i get anxy or panicy cos I CAN leave if I feel them things without having to explain... which does make me feel safer and happier...

My boss just recommended a couple places to eat - one is a pub and the other a tea room... both are on my walk from bus to theatre so ideal... The tea room is a proper old fashioned one which I do like so I will probably eat there!

One more sleep!

At the end of the song I really felt glad that the horrible night was over! I feel the same often and it is described beautifully here. I hope the show goes well for you and well done for booking the ticket for yourself. I love the Opera and musicals, I'm sure you'll have a great time! xxx

Have a fab day chips! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Can I just add.....when I started going to places on my own, one of the big things for me was going away to Glastonbury - do you remember?? You were such an inspiration and encouraged me to do it. You were right!

Yeterday I was in town sorting out my passport and I went for a walk around some streets and buildings that I don't usually explore....I LOVED being alone, dawdling, wondering who built these, what they were used for etc.

It's bloody ACE enjoying your own company. You will have a fab night! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

yeah fedup! i remember - of course i do... boy i miss that tearoom :( yeah, freedom rocks :)

anyway... it was BLOODY FANTASTIC...

i was actually crying quite a bit at the beginning and a bit throughout cos i was so happy being there

the production was ace, the music was good (which isnt easy in that theatre) and the cast was awesome

and the bloke playing the Lord Chancellor sung the nightmare song perfect in my eyes - not as good as martyn green but he was pretty close...

the humour of the piece came across brilliant - and it struck me how versatile the cast need to be to sing, dance, act and get the humour in the right places...

i managed to avoid the rain - it started after i got there, it was a little drizzly walking to the first bus home after, which wasnt as long a walk as i thought cos the bus stopped nearer the town centre - then it hammered down when i was on the first bus but had stopped when i needed to change and was also dry walking home from teh bus stop...

oh and i ate at the theatre, the tea room was packed even when i got there at 12.00 - hey ho, never mind...

so yeah... i had a brilliant day - and i did it all on my own... and i think i enjoyed it more than if i went with someone else, freedom to do what i want when i want to do it - can't beat it...

i am going to put the CD on now, dig my vocal score out and relive it all over again...

i am so happy.... i am defo gonna do it again - i will get on the email list of what's on...

thank you everyone :hug2:

xxxxxxxxx

Archived