Mental Health Forums

What Happens If I Call The Out Of Hours Docs?

OrangeLamp

I'm starting to feel pretty bad again, just a bit triggered and cos I've come out with more stuff from my past and its hard to come to terms with. I don't want to end up in a state, but I find myself jumping to suicide way too easily.

I can't give up, but I know what I'm like when I get worse.

I don't have a crisis team anymore cos I got rid of them for being useless, and have dodged my psych apps cos im an idiot and was scared of going on my own, so apparently I can ring the out of hours docs if things get bad. But I'm worried as hell what will happen if I ring them :S

Dunno if its an option, I'm just trying to stay safe

Hi

I'm not sure to be honest.. Maybe they'd talk to you over phone and assess what's best e.g a&e etc? Is there a crisis helpline at your Nhs service? Where I live (Surrey) there is a helpline anyone in Surrey can call in times of crisis.. You don't have to be open to a team. Do you know of a local similar one?

How about the Samaritans.. Would that be of use to you tonight?

I hope you're able to stay safe. I'm truly sorry things are so tough. Please take care of yourself.. X

hi, i hear you,

have you a distraction plan things that help you through these feelings? you could ring out of hours they might ask you to go to a&e, or call your local mh crisis out of hours team,

another one to call is nhs direct you get to talk to a nurse first who maybe able to help you with distractions, warm, bath, music, coloring, calling a friend for a chat?

playing games on the net .... but in the long run it might be also an idea to make another appointment with your pdoc, people from mind are good with going with you if you don't have anyone else ..... please keep posting here sometimes i find that comforting too ... x

thanks for the replies, yeah I guess they wouldnt be much help. a&e wouldnt either, my friend told me not to go there cos it wouldnt do any good long term and I'm scared to go back cos its association sorta thing, because when I od'd it wasnt nice.

I hadn't thought of ringing nhs direct...I might give that a go if I feel worse. I try distraction but theres only so far that can get me, I never knew the people from mind help with things like that either...

I'm kinda meh about crisis teams, not even sure what they do :S

I just know I'll end up feeling suicidal, and I don't want to die but I know I will when all the pain gets too much.

That's why I'm looking to find someone professional who might be able to pull me out of the thick of it

Hi Orange sorry you are no feeling well, Focusline works in Leicester and they are really nice, why not ring them they are there until 1am , they are there for people with mental health problems

-Helpline number: 0800 027 2127 (Free)

also out of hours crisis will listen to you...... i see where your coming from, but nows the time to reach out and get help because you want help there's very good advice here people care we all do ....i hope you have help soon please keep us posted

thanks for the replies.

As for today, fairly upset to be honest. All I want to say right now is that im fine but i know im not, just upset. shouldnt have talked about all that stuff last night its really got to me

I think it is brave that you are talking and opening up to people. It should eventually start to help, but it does take a while and a lot of reassurance - which is what we are all here for! You are accepted and cared about here xxx

I have been to out of hours. only for physical things and i was kind of out of it but i'll tell you what I remember

one time i went to a&e but they said there was nothing wrong with me so they sent me to the out of hours GP at the hospital. I didnt have an appt so i had to wait for quite a long time. I'd literally just stood up to leave when he called my name. tbh he wasnt any good, he gave me some meds i shouldnt be taking and sent me home. but he did say i could go back the next day if i didnt feel better. (I didnt, i went to a&e again and they were not impressed with the a&e for sending me away the night before)

another time my mum phoned nhs direct and they called back. they advised me to go to out of hours and i think it was nhs direct who made an appt for me there so i showed up at the right time and was seen almost straight away. he was good, he listened, he was nice to me, he gave good advice. it was like any other GP appt really.

I would say out of hours is a gamble especialy with mental health because different GPs have different atitudes to it but the same is true for a&e crisis or even the samaritans. but i wouldnt rule it out you might find someone really good whos just what you need.

well to let you peoples know,

I'm in a ward right now, and ive felt the safest i have done in so long. nurses are nice, and im due to see a psych soon and i have lots of water and they let me have a sandwich

Now this might belong in unspoken words but:

Theres one friend who has really been a rock to me and I haven't even known her long. She's been fantastic even when shes got her own life to deal with. I know its never easy being my friend but I'll always be there for her, shes one of the best friends I've ever had. Just want to say I'm sorry for being a shit sometimes, and I appreciate every piece of effort shes ever given and it is appreciated.

Thanks to peeps for the support on here too, its never forgotten

Archived