Mental Health Forums

Advice Needed - Temazepam

Roses

Well, after 6 or so years on zolpidem and zopiclone and changing the brand every 6 months to year as they become ineffective I have finally given in to the lack of sleep and last night committed my first boo boo and took my sleeper as usual and when was up from 2 not sleeping finally gave in and took a second sleeper which got me off about half 5 til 8 this morning. I know you are not supposed to do that but I had reached breaking point. Every night it seems I go off quite nicely between 10 and 11 but am up from 1 to 2 in the morning and tossing and turning until the wee hours when I give up.

So I went to the docs asking about the dreaded benzos I have avoided all this time and came away with a script for 10mg a night of temazepam. I must admit the thought of a night's sleep does take the fear away a bit but I am still scared about how the drug is going to affect me. Worried about effects next day and long term problems with weight gain and the such (the usual I guess). Any advice? Much appreciated if you can xxx

Thanks for the hugs Orange and thanks for your thoughts cadance. That was another thing that bothered me that you can end up building a resistance and needing more and more of the stuff. I guess if I notice this happening I'll have to face it at the time? Anyone had this resistance happen and how did you cope?

hi roses i've only took diazepam so not sure how similar that would be to temazepam. i did notice the more i took it the less effect there seemed to be so i tried to not use it everyday and it worked well then. i would on the whole say it was a good med for me and i didn't notice any weight gain. i liked the effect but am not prescribed it anymore as the pdoc wanted to try different meds to try to manage my problems. best wishes and i hope it works well for you xxx

The thing thats been dicovered about zopiclone/zopiderm more recently is that they have pretty much the same problems in terms of building up tolerance and, for some people, dependance.

I think it depends totally on how you take it - I took zopiclone intermitantly (like 3-4 days per week) for years. I didn't get dependant on them , but I think I did build up a bit of a tolerance to them..

Thing is Roses - if you need them at the minute then you need them. You might find that if they can give you a few good nights sleep then your body will get into a bit more of a rhythm (she says wishfully, wide awake at midnight!) and then it'll be easier to have some nights without them.

The benzo's don't tend to cause weight gain, but can have more of a "hangover" effect in the mornings for some people - but probably no more so than the zopiclone in reality.

I think I'd try them, nice mug of ovaltine, and hopefully get some sleep! If you find you don't like the way they work, you don't have to take them anymore.

Humungous hugs!

Mousexx

Hi roses

I was on 20mg of temzepam (it takes a lot to knock me out :lol:) but only every took it for 2 weeks at a time not on a regular long term because of addiction issues. I slept really well on it and I agree the fear is taken away by knowing that you are definitely going to sleep. For a few days, I was a bit drowsy in the mornings but that did wear off. Hope it works for you and lots of love xx

Thanks Vivien, Dory and Cat. I took it last night and although I did toss and turn from 2-5 I just rolled over and nodded back off and then slepy from 5-7 which is unheard of and amazing. I tend to be like you Cat and I need a lot of medication to knock me out. I already take 300 quetiapine and 1000 depakote at night then the sleeper on top. My psyche meds have always been arranged to help me feel drowsier at night. I think at this dose of 10mg I may just be able to get a decent 6-7 hours (all be some of it broken a bit) and not get too addicted. I read up on the mighty Wiki last night that there seems to be a split decision and some people think it is addictive whilst others have said it takes time to build up and work effectively so it is confusing which is why I asked people on here as this place is so good for advice.I did feel well and truly drugged last night but this morning I don't feel much more drowsy than normal so that is a good sign. Only problem I saw was that I had much, much more vivid dreams than usual. Luckily they were nice dreams last night so I didn't mind. xxx

Hey, I take either 10 or 20mg temazepam just when I need it - tend to only take 20 when I'm in crisis and need to be asleep to keep myself safe. Both work for me, although I wake up a lot more with just the 10. I've been taking them every now and then for over 2 years and haven't build up a resistance to them, I'm allowed to take them 3 nights in a row if necessary then must have at least 3 nights off them. Hope you get on well with them :) xx

i hun

i have to say when i built up resistance i was on it nightly for between 6-9 months, it all of a sudden stopped working as well so i was moved on to zopliclone, i take as and when.

Thanks for the advice Shadow and Cadance I have been told to just take 10mg every night for the forseeable and not have breaks and that, is that OK then? I have found that so far both the nights I have taken them I have slept better but I wouldn't say they have knocked me out, does this mean I won't build up a resistance or is it impossible to know such things? Guess it's just a case of wait and see.

Archived