Mental Health Forums

Things That Have Come Out Of Today's Counselling

Data

Today my counsellor said that she pushed me quite hard in our session. Some of the things she said made perfect sense to me, others made me think, and others were quite 'way out', and I am not sure if they are correct or not. Let me share some:

1. I can be very empathetic about other people, however when I focus on myself I am logical, not empathetic. I can't feel the same empathy for myself that I can apply to other people.

2. I am insecure about how I communicate with other people. I doubt my own effectiveness about whether I can communicate properly.

3. Sometimes when I feel bad about something that has been said between me and someone - I need to learn that its their issue, and not mine.

4. My right brain and my left brain don't talk to each other properly.

5. It may be that my adoption - at a young age - has been carried in my all my life as a 'body memory'. I may be carrying deep feelings of rejection inside.

6. Maybe the overeating is a subconscious thing... as a child I felt neglected and so I was worried that I would starve to death.

7. At the moment that I get up to go to the fridge for an alcoholic drink or some junk food, I should notice how I am feeling at that very moment.

8. When I feel anxious I should put my hand across my belly and try and keep myself safe.

Wow Data - you have been hard at it!

What are the things that you feel able to connect with? How do you feel knowing some of things she has picked up from you?

Big Hugs Maddie x

Thanks Pandora, GrowlyCat and ShadowGirl.

What are the things that you feel able to connect with?

Number 1 is the most important I think. It makes a lot of sense to me. She said that because I am afraid of certain emotions I avoid them by being over-analytical.

Number 7 is going to take a bit of work but I am determined to do it.

How do you feel knowing some of things she has picked up from you?

I think it is great your T is able to go over all that with you, how are you doing adsorbing it?

I don't know how I feel. I am safe and calm at the moment. When a 'bombshell' is dropped in therapy, then that is shocking... but its also positive because it means something has been identified that I am able to work on.

Its perfectly ok to feel a bit overwhelmed and/or jumbled right now.This was/is big so allow yourself time with it and allow yourself to feel whatever comes up.

Go you!

Hi Data,

Makes a lot of sense. I am glad you feel safe and calm. Can only echo others in what work you have done today, you must feel shattered.

Maddie :)

it does sound like your counsellor pushed you hard! its not suprising if it takes you some time to recover from the session and take it all in

I think a lot of people like counsellors will sometimes get it wrong. its hard because sometimes they can see things we can't see, maybe because we only see ourselves from the inside, maybe because they have expertise we dont or maybe because we arent ready to admit to something. But sometimes they are totally wrong, they are professionally trained but they arent psychic. So especialy when you have so much to work on already i think its ok to ignore the things you don't agree with and just worry about the things you do agree with. then you can come back to the other things another time. maybe once you've worked on the other stuff you might either find the counsellor was right after all or you might have a bit of extra confidence and insight that makes you even more sure the counsellor got it wrong that time

btw as far as i can see you are very good at 2 :) tho I think lots of people on here are better at it online than offline. not that i'm saying the others are right, i dont know you well enough to say but you always communicate everything really clearly.

Data you are an intelligent guy and it sounds as though you are ready to deal with all of this?

I really hope so - keep at it, but do try to keep a good balance of being nice to yourself.

Thanks for sharing your progress with us - it's good you can post here, I hope it gives you some clear perspective after your sessions xxxxxxxxxxx

It helps me to have problems identified as well. And it helps me to know what I am suppose to be working on in T too. I think is part of why I am have improved over the years, because I can keep coming back to making and effort of a specific issue, where as thinking of being cured or recovered in total is too overwhelming.

Archived