Mental Health Forums

Insatiable (And My Problems With Food)

b0bulat0r

So I don;t often talk about this but it is starting to really upset me,

I am hungry ALL THE TIME

like every waking moment i am hungry,

I am on lansoprazole to help me with my stomach defect, however my stomach generates over double the regular amount of acid that normal people do, which causes me to feel very violent acid pains whenever i don't eat for more than a couple of hours.

because of this I have spent the last few years making sure i eat regularly (every 2-3 hours or so) to negate the stomach problems, (Even though the tablets help alot they dont fix it)

I also eat more when i'm stressed so i snack alot at work because i get very stressed there,

The problem is that I'm starting to gain weight again (before i could eat and eat and not gain any weight at all but i'm now at a point as its slowly crept up on me where i am really uncomfortable about my weight (i'm 2 stone overweight for my height)

I don't know what to do because, yes i eat ALOT of junk food that i know is bad for me but,

If i have a piece of fruit of something

1) its usually filled with acids that make my stomach problem flare up quicker

2) i can eat a piece of fruit and i'm hungry again in 2 minutes, where as if i eat a chocolate bar I at least get 30-40 minutes before i start to feel hungry again,

its not as easy for me to just change what i eat or decide to go on a diet, because of my stomach defect,

but then I KNOW i am also eating more than i should (even with the defect) because i feel hungry ALL the time

Why do I feel hungry all the time?

I can eat a full meal like a roast dinner, or have a KFC and even if i have those i feel "fed" and can then stop myself eating for a few hours but i never fill Full and constantly feel like i could put more food away, I often fancy seconds of stuff or think "oh just another of those wont hurt"

I just wish i knew why i felt so hungry all the time in order to stop it,

My stomach litterally hurts when i don't eat though, which is why i eat and eat to avoid the pains,

Yes i know the other solution is for me to exercise more but that i really struggle with, (i struggle with motivation to get out of bed in the morning let alone to do anything else), the most intensive exercise i do is my jujitsu class on wednesday nights and that 2 hours of exercise is so intense i feel like i've done my exercise for the week just doing that!.

Input greatly appreciated.

I'd really like to be able to find a way to lose that 2 stone, without making myself ill in the process.

hi rob, understand if this not appropriate but it might help if you tried to drink more water. say if you are hungry try and have a big glass of water first- apparently our bodies get confused by thirst signals which often come up as hunger signals instead, so we are actually thirsty not hungry. also drinking more water will dilute the acid which helps a lot (but not all) people with excess stomach acid.

good luck xxx

Instead of fruit you could try whole grain products like healthy mueslibar theyre more filling,less acidy and keep you feeling full longer.

Have you ever talked to your doc about the constant hunger feelings?

Could be stress,I often feel hungry when very stressed,its strange,when I can relax it subsides.

Would mixing fruit with some natural yogurt help?

People with diabetes find that natural yog helps keep their blood sugars level for longer. Basically you don't get a sugar rush/spike.

I can't hep but wonder if this may also help you?

Maybe chop some fruit or add some blueberries (a great super food) pop it in a container and take with you to work. Maybe have half in the morning (10/11ish) and the rest in the afternoon?

Take Care

DD x

All of the suggestions made so far would be ones I would make too. I understand about the fruit and acid thing it's hard cos most places say eat more fruit and that. But the muesli bars sound like a great idea and offer nutrition that chocolate bars don't give you and they are designed as a breakfast replacement or substantial snack so could help you feel fuller for longer. I have also struggled with the hunger since being on the meds I am on. I was underweight but have taken advice to eat and build myself up to where I am a stone overweight now!!! I am struggling but I find that porridge for breakfast carries me a long way before I start to feel hungry again. You can get this in individual packets for a meal and just microwave them - gorgeous, xxx

Be careful with cereal bars, they tend to be very high in sugars and are both quite fattening and unhealthy. Maybe something like wholemeal toast or salad sandwich would be better. Protein is a good filler and not too fattening.

As a diabetic of over 50 years, I have never heard that yogurt stabilises blood sugar levels. Just shows nobody ever stops learning, glad of the tip.

Not saying it works for everyone MeMyself&I but my partner has been type 1 for 30+ years and it's the case for him, that and a few other tweeks got his hba down from 8+% to 6.2% :) We were put on to it by the parent of a type 1.

But as you know everyone's diabetes is different :)

Absolutely, no two are the same. I am type 1.Ccan be a bummer, especially as I am suffering from an Eating Disorder for the second time in my life :cap:

I feel for you. I have had an eating disorder on & off for way too long. I have impaired glucose intolerance which is bad enough to also deal with.

Don't mean to be presumptious & sorry if I offend or if I am way off, but have you heard of dwed? An organisation for diabetics with ED's. Not sure if it would be of any help to you but they do have a website.

Huge Hug x

I have a similar problem - without the stomach issues. I'm never full - although not always "hungry" per se, I can always eat. I have to mentally decide not to eat more at a meal, rather than stop because I'm feeling full (there are exceptions of course, but they are extremely rare). And I binge-eat - whether stressed or not. Often I binge when I'm happy even - because I feel I deserve it! I'm being treated for a mood disorder, but the meds I'm on are not meant to cause hunger, and this problem is not connected to them.

I binge on chocolate. It sounds normal, the whole "chocoholic" claim being almost a popular one... But when I have cravings for chocolate - it's not absolutely always, there are days when I feel no need for any - but sometimes my cravings are so intense that it's all I can think about.

The water thing helps a f**kload. More than any of the above - sometimes I'll have a "healthy snack" (legit healthy, fruit or wholegrain or protein or veg, anything healthy-related you can imagine!) but all it does is add calories to my day because I'll go on and binge after that.

Water. Water. Water. Only thing that seems to help.

Archived