Mental Health Forums

Starting Therapy (28/02)

abee.abee1991

I am starting Congnitive Analytic Theraphy (CAT) and I am so scared. I have never ever in all my life been able to totally open up to people, it takes me along time to build a trusting relationship with someone partly because I am dyslexic and when I have built a relationship it ends in pain and tears. This therapy is apparently a very hands on and I AM FREAKING OUT.

"Treatment usually involves intensive oral, written and diagrammatic work, shared face to face between the client and the therapist."

This is going to be so hard for me and I am so scared about my appointment later. I don't want to go back and remember all the things that happened that day and explain it all to a total stranger. It is bad enough I have flashbacks and nightmares from that day as it is!

:worried_anim:

Been on the waiting list for nearly 10 months.

Someone please take my place, I really don't want to do this, I get so easily triggered by talking about things :crying_anim:

Gosh that must be so scary for you,I can tell youre really afraid.

Maybe it would help you if you started out by explaining how scary this is for you,if the therapist knows he/she can take that into account and work on that with you first.

If only you didnt have to do this,you dont,its your choice but Im hoping youll decide to go because how great would it be if it helped!

It is scary, but a good therapist will understand that and won't force you to go faster or further than you are able in one session. Hope it goes ok for you. Hugs.

I hope you go to your therapy session cos although its going to be scary and hurt a lot initially, you may get a lot of benefit from the therapy...you should do as Lily has suggested and explain to your therapist how difficult it is for you to talk about these things.

I hope all goes well xx

It is totally natural to be scared of something when you don't know what is going to happen or the people you will meet. But the others have given you some great advice here and I just echo that really, please go. It does help xxx

I went to my first session and it was 'okay' we spoke about basic things not going into much detail, explained to her I get easily triggered and all that and she seemed nice. She said at the end of the session she see's me as a "very lonely, sad but interlectual young adult" I have a session everyweek with her for a minimum of 16 sessions so we will see what happens I guess. Thank you all for your support xx

Archived