Mental Health Forums

Arghhhhh To Anti Psychotics

ILostHer

Just seen my cpn who I think is as frustrated as my psych. They say my only option is anti psychotics (they always have such a rational answer to my "But it's not psychosis, it's real!" comments.

Anyway, I have an eating disorder, I absolutely can only eat once a day, I HATE with a passion - food.

Anti psychotics = Hunger. Can't do it.

I have said I will take them if my psych can prescribe a seriously strong appetite suppressant alongside them. I know this sounds shallow, but I promise there is more to my ED than 'looking thin'

Does anyone know if there are appetite suppressants only prescribed by psychs (meaning they are good ones, not like herbal stuff) has anyone ever requested this themselves? I can't be the only person with 'psychosis' (and I say that lightly) and an ED??

Getting no where very fast and I don't just think this is going to end if I keep refusing the meds, they may kick me off the MH team?

Yep. Which is why I come off them after a week or so. But my mh team think that getting rid of the scary things is better than eating. But I don't. It won't work, my psych will say no, so I will say no to him too.

I want a new psych but not going to get one.

Would you be willing to test out this theory?

-A lot of side effects like hunger lessen after two to four weeks which is also when they start working.

-If the things you experience are real it wont stop with the meds,if youre mistaking they;; dissapear slowly after a while on the right dose.

You could consider trying for real for say two months and then evaluate,if you then still feel the side effects are too bad and you dont feel better otherwise either you can decide to quit. Nothing much will then be lost right? What you could gain is;it might help make you feel better! You showed your psych you gave it a real try.

they won't give u appetite suppressants. i agree with lily tho, i think it's worth a try. and if the "psychosis" doesn't go maybe they will be more open to believe you more that it's real. when i went on anti-p's the main effect i had was that the screaming voice in my head stopped & my head seemed peaceful for the 1st time ever. it would be good if your head could have some peace....

This is the reason why I won't take anti psychotics either I am afraid of weight gain, When my psych puts me on any medication I always ask him will they make me gain weight? I am on citalopram and duloxetine atm but I told my shrink if I was to put on weight I would stop them but luckily I haven't, I'm also on topamax for migraine which is great and these steady weight and can course weight loss.

I do see where your coming from in this.

Thanks for your replies.

Lily you make a lot of sense and it would prove that this is real or not, I have not stayed on them long enough before to try this out. But there is no way I could have four weeks of eating. Not at all. It would wreck everything, I could leave the house even less. I would be happy to stay on them to trial if it is real or not if they give me the appetite suppressants.

Lou, my cpn says she is asking him next week and is going to ring me. They know what I am like, I am difficult and stubborn when it comes to medication, I try everything they do for me in therapy but they know I wont have the anti p's without the appetite suppressants. If he won't they know I will self medicate with other stuff to counteract the anti p's. So surely it would be safer for him to prescribe instead? It would be nice to have some peace, I am glad they worked for you.

Growlycat, do they offer you any other substitute? Something that does the same as anti p's? This is what I asked my cpn yesterday, surely there is something that does the same job. Sorry you have this too.

I realise I sound very spoilt, and most people would just take the anti p's but the ed is the only thing keeping me sane - honestly. Ok, not sane but content, it's the only thing I feel content over.

Thanks again all of you xx

just wanted to add that starvation-induced psychosis is very common. Trust me, when i was in an anorexia unit everyone had voices & could see people telling them they couldn't eat.

And that is one of the reasons I starve, but not the only reason. There are so many Lou that to eat would just start off a war or worlds inside my body, I swear. But yeah you are right, I am instructed not to eat, but for good reasons? I truly believe they are helping me.

When I had anorexia in my 20's it was different, it was me. My control. But this time is so different. So no answer really. Hopeless but happy that it is here because it truly is for the best in many aspects.

hi hun, this isn't an ideal solution as its not a 'proper' appetite suppressant but it might be worth a go.... have u ever been on high dose venlafaxine 300mg plus? i have never found it easy to be skinny but on that amount i was actually disturbed by how much weight i was losing. have spoke to someone else here who experienced similar too at higher doses-apparently thats when it becomes an snri not ssri. combined with an anti -p it might help the weight side effect.

i'd be a hypocrite to say too much about taking anti-p's as i have struggles with them. but i do like the relaxing feeling and how they stop the racing thoughts which a lot of the time i don't even realize i am having until they stop. good luck xxx

Hi vivien,

That's Effexor isn't it? I was on that before but not a high dose. I will def mention it to my psych if he refuses anything else and see what he says. Thanks for mentioning it, I hadn't thought of a drug with a side effect of appetite loss so it's worth mentioning to him. I think their problem might be that they will be colluding with the ed but if it gets me on anti p's they might agree.

It's good to know that anti p's helped you a bit. I am always thinking of the bad side effects and never actually wonder if they may make me feel better! I don't know why I have such a distaste of them really. I always deny that they have worked before when my mh team ask, I can never remember the beneficial side to them.

Thanks again xxx

yes they might be open to the idea of letting you try it. the only thing is they'd probably want to build up to that dose slowly over weeks/months but it might be worth it. and they might let you do it quicker as u've been feeling so bad lately. xxxx

After a while on Olanzapine I learn't to ignore my appetite as i knew it wasn't 'real' hunger but 'not feeling full' as the feeling full message doesn't get sent properley. I just learn't to have set portions at set meal times. This way when i was put on Olanzapine the second time i didn't gain any weight. I did find that i couldn't 'lose' weight on it either no matter how much exercise i did, but at least i didn't gain as i couldn't afford to gain any more cos i hadn't lost what i'd put on the first time round.

With Olanzapine it was heavy carbs i craved like potato, pasta, rice etc.

This time round i asked for something with less risk of weight gain and i went on Quetiapine. This one i found doesn't give so much appetite as with the previous one, and i can lose weight if i do enough exercise. (Although i can put on if i don't cycle for a while)

With this one i crave sweet things so at least that doesn't affect my meal sizes just makes me want to snack.

I think like anything it's seeing how each one affects you and what side effects you can put up with or work on, we're all different so can all have different experiences but i guess the main thing is that the benefits out weigh the side effects on which ever med you take.

Good luck and hope that you can find an AP that works best for you. There are a few out there to try at least and like evrything it's not a onesize fits all so sometimes it's a case of trial and error.

x

yeah i'm on quetiapine the 1st few wks i didn't have any appetite at all i just wanted to sleep all the time. Which would've been nice if i had been able to sleep but my toddlers had other ideas!

Thanks Silverwolf, actually my psych has suggested Quetiapine before, he promised that that one was different but I didn't really believe him but if people that have actually taken it say it is then I am more likely to believe it. I will have a look into it and read up. I actually really want some peace now so I want to try again but the fears of hunger are huge but I want the quietness x

I am actually dreading my next appointment with him, I have the appointment date but haven't looked at it as I feel really nauseous with anxiety when I think of going in there, but I need to check it as I will need more meds, so can't miss it. I don't understand why I feel like this about him, he is not unpleasant, I am to him I think. Does anyone feel very uncomfortable or have bad thoughts about their psychs? I really feel like he watches me and knows all of what I write and think etc. It's horrible, because when I get bothered about the cameras I now think he is one of the one's seeing too. Hate it. Sorry - rambling.

I am prescribed a low dose of quetiapine for anxiety (I don't take it) so anti-psychotics do seem to be prescribed for things other than psychosis. My gp says this is becoming increasingly common (rightly or wrongly). I've also experienced weight loss with venlafaxine. Hope you're able to try something xx

I am prescribed a low dose of quetiapine for anxiety (I don't take it) so anti-psychotics do seem to be prescribed for things other than psychosis. My gp says this is becoming increasingly common (rightly or wrongly). I've also experienced weight loss with venlafaxine. Hope you're able to try something xx

I was thinking of you last night! - That might sound a bit stalker like lol but you know when you realise you haven't seen someone for a while, I was hoping you were ok.

I am pleased to hear that Quetiapine is good for anxiety, I am really tempted now after reading peoples views on it here. I will ask my cpn to ask him about it as he suggested it anyway. I need something, this morning I got up and I noticed furniture and smaller things had been moved, god knows if it was real or not. But I am scared of all this now so I am going to try the Quetiapine. Is there a reason you don't take it?

Thanks Myla xx

Thanks Silverwolf, actually my psych has suggested Quetiapine before, he promised that that one was different but I didn't really believe him but if people that have actually taken it say it is then I am more likely to believe it. I will have a look into it and read up. I actually really want some peace now so I want to try again but the fears of hunger are huge but I want the quietness x

It's worth a try if you don't mind experimenting and having a go at different meds. I found with Quet that the hunger was easier to deal with and like i said if you do enough exercise you can keep your weight the same or even lose some.

Be warned It does make you horribly groggy in the beginning, but don't worry your body does adjust to it.

I was freaked out when i first started at 50mg thinking 'bloody hell i'm this tired on 50mg how on earth can i go up to 200mg which would be 4times this grogginess!'

However it doesn't really work like that, in that the grogginess was the same on higher dose not more.

Also if you can have a modified release version too which means it releases it gradually through the day rather than WHAM all in one go.

Good luck whatever you decide hun

x

Thanks again Silverwolf, I think I will try them, too much weird stuff is happening and it's affecting my son now so I need to stop being so stubborn. Bloody hate this. I don't mind any side affect apart from hunger and anything to do with gastro stuff. They are the two things that would stop me taking any meds.

Going to ask my cpn if there is a way of seeing my psych differently, maybe with someone else there. That might help too.

I will ask for the modified release one and see what they say. x

quetiapine can be nice, i took 200mg (not modified release) at 8 o'clock last night & slept like a baby from 9pm-7am this morning, feel lots better after such a good sleep

I was thinking of you last night! - That might sound a bit stalker like lol but you know when you realise you haven't seen someone for a while, I was hoping you were ok.

I am pleased to hear that Quetiapine is good for anxiety, I am really tempted now after reading peoples views on it here. I will ask my cpn to ask him about it as he suggested it anyway. I need something, this morning I got up and I noticed furniture and smaller things had been moved, god knows if it was real or not. But I am scared of all this now so I am going to try the Quetiapine. Is there a reason you don't take it?

Thanks Myla xx

:) No, not at all like a stalker, lol! I'm doing ok thanks. I've just been a bit absent on here due to a few physical health issues and also juggling preparations for my daughter's 5th birthday party this weekend. I'll hopefully be around more next week once it's all over.

Spooky about things moving - whether real or not. The main reasons I don't take it are I'm petrified of the grogginess that the pdoc said I'd probably experience because I'm usually quite tired and couldn't imagine how I'd cope being even more tired. Also, I had my venlafaxine upped at the same time and I wanted to see whether that helped by itself before adding the Q to it. I didn't feel that my anxiety was severe enough for long enough periods of time to warrant taking something everyday and my gp said not to use as PRN - I already use diazepam for odd days and prefer what I know. Finally I am concerned about putting on weight, lol!!! (I didn't mention this to either pdoc or gp because I'm sure at least one of them may think I have an ED due to my low BMI - I don't though). I'm not saying I would never take it but I'm not very good at being persuaded to take drugs etc. I'd have to really, really think I need it. It sounds as though you're considering it seriously - I think it's good not to rule out options. Hope you're comfortable with your decision whatever you decide. Good luck xx

Sorry that your health is not too good, I hope it will improve soon.

I am similar to you with meds, they have to persuade me for months and then if I don't like them I give up straight away, It annoys them as I am quite picky about what I will and won't take. I have sort of changed my mind about the anti p's again. I am not sure if I can even go to the psych appointment this month, I just can't trust him.

God, I am a nightmare. I wish I could just have the meds I want and that make me feel ok but he holds back.

I hope your daughter has a great birthday! Aww 5 is such a sweet age :) xx

Aw thanks :). Daughter's party was great - just wish I wasn't too busy to enjoy it! (I had to watch the camcorder footage taken by my niece to see what a great time her and her friends were really havin, lol!!).

Oh yes that's me exactly with meds. The first pdoc I saw I didn't trust (I think it had something to do with the way she raised her eyebrows when I said something. Eventually I discharged myself). We're in charge though hey!! xx

Archived