Mental Health Forums

New Therapist

Shadow girl

I saw my new DBT therapist for the second time last week. We were doing goal setting and I felt really pressured to agree to put as my top goal totally stopping taking small o/ds. It is something I want to stop but I ended up leaving having said I would try to do an immediate, total stop. When I got home it was on my mind so much that instead of not doing it I did it worse than normal. I feel such a failure. I don't know what I'm going to say to her when I see her again on Weds. I feel like a naughty school girl who will have to own up to the headteacher. It's making me thing I can't do the DBT, even though i want to succeed with it so much. It seems too hard and I've not even started yet, I'm only on the pre-commitment stuff. I feel a complete loser.

be honest with her

they wanted me to stop self harming and whilst i dont see myself doing it forever i dont want to go for a all out stop

so i agreed to work on stopping looking at why i did it and if i do i have to talk to my gp after and my t

You havent failed its hard keep going

Lucy

you havent failed, it sounds like yor dbt therapist doesnt know you very well yet and shes set you an unrealistic goal. thats not your fault (i'm not saying its hers but its not yours). until she gets to know you she will probably have trouble setting realistic goals and until you get to know her its probably hard for you to stand up for yourself and give your own opinions. when someone asks you to stop doing something straight away that puts you under a lot of pressure and its hard not to do the things that seem like they would release the pressure.

I hope youll give it a bit longer at least, it might work really well for you.

I think all you can do is be honest, say what you did and why. that will help her get to know what works for you and what doesnt. then if you can maybe you could suggest an alternative goal?

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm so terrified of failing I'm almost too scared to try. I will try and explain this next time I see her. She is so different to my CPN who I saw for nearly two years. It's hard to adjust to her - she is very direct. Part of me wants to hate her and walk out - but I've waited over 18 months for the chance to try DBT. It'd be silly to ruin the opportunity so early on.

Archived