Mental Health Forums

Help To Overcome Binging

MeMyself&I

Very pleased to say I am now recovering from not having an Eating Disorder :rolleyes: (clearly I did/do, but they did not want to 'label' me.

Now, I have gained weight and am so very much stronger. I am by no means 'better' but improving.

The problem I have is binging. I am eating three balanced meals and three snacks a day, but on any occasion, when I start eating I do not want to stop, not even when I feel completely full.

After maybe an hour I am happy again, until I et again. :eh:

I am assuming my body still requires 'feeding', but when I give in and have a binge, I feel terribly guilty, and fat!

I accept weight gain, that is not the problem. The problem is the constant desire to eat. I was anorexic with bulimic tendencies. I would virtually starve myself then one day, would not be able to stop eating, have a massive binge, then purge.

I no longer purge, eat a balanced diet, and eat regularly every day.

I am becoming so despondant at not being able to stop the binges that still occur, and would really appreciate any tips anyone can give me.

Thank you so much in advance :D

Hi again :)

Are you able to record what you are eating and maybe how you feel when eating in a diary?

I presume from the time that you have been type 1 that you were (maybe still are, some people prefer it) on 2 injections a day prior to going on mdi?

I know from my partner that this can bring about a resentment to food. Having to eat a set amount of carb per day is very restrictive :(

I have those very same thoughts about eating and really have to work very hard not to binge. I do this by going outside with my camera or pottering about in the garden. It sounds so simple now typing it but I know that at that time with those thoughts it really is the hardest thing to do, my heels dig firmly into the ground! My other form of escape is sleep, but that really isn't practical everyday.

The only other thing I can do is not shop alone and then I just don't buy the "bad" stuff then I can't binge even if I want to. I have been known to flush things away & or bin food, but it is a terrible waste :(

Do you see a diabetic nurse? If your gp isn't able to help then the DSN should be able to organise some counselling?

I really wish there was more I could offer.

Take Care

DD xxx

I'd be really intrested in peoples replies too. I told my therapist today that I wanted to talk about my weight and she just said it was something I should/could discuss with friends!

I weigh 21stone from frequent binging. :(

Thanks DD. I am on four injections of insulin daily. The problem is that any professional help is not really available here. The ED team pulled out the instant I showed any sign of recovery, apparently they are only 'allowed' six sessions per client. My GP is out of his league and impossible - literally - to get aoppintments for. My Diabetic nurse is not familiar with eating problems,...I could go on. I just cannot get any real help, so thought some tips from people who have experience would be the best opton. Anybody who has not been through things like an ED or depression find it very hard to understand how the client truly feels. That is not a criticism.

I feel so depressed, some days all I want to do is die. Wish my CPN would come back, she has been away for so long now, with no real support left for me.

My husband helps all he can, but is suffering from my ups and downs, my temper tantrums. He does notknow which way is best to help. I generally keep only things such as fruit/veg/porridge on hand to munch on. It is so easy thouht to get into my car and go to the shops. I do resist this 99.5% of the time. It is just this constant wanting to eat feeling, even when not hungry, even when having eaten lots and being completely full. Once I start eating, I just find it so terribly terribly hard to stop.

We have actually locked some food in a cupboard that I cannot get into, so that my hsuband has food other than fruit and veg. He loves all the crap foods around. I try to get him to buy and eat whatever he wants, but just not to leave it sitting around and available.

I feel so sorry for him.

I just so desperatly want to feel better, physically and mentally. My recovery from anorexia and depression is so painfully slow. I turned the corner at the end of December. Hey ho, off we go. Best not to dwell on the bad side of things. :ashamed0005:

I wish I could reward him for what he has done and put up with ovr the last twelve months or so. He is a saint. :D :wub:

Where about's in the world are you MeMyself&I?

I am going through similar with my GP who sent me packing out the door even though I told him about my laxative abuse. He didn't suggest blood tests do my bp or anything, then put me on meds that could have done more harm than good, luckily I stopped taking these! I have since printed out a copy of the NICE guidelines and have highlighted what they are supposed to do and shall be sending this and a letter to the Surgery & PCT. Maybe it might be worth you doing similar?

The other people that may be able to offer more specific advice to you and your partner if you are in the UK is B-EAT http://www.b-eat.co.uk/ Or Diabetes Uk. There is also http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/index.php which offers great diabetes support. They are supported by Duk .

Take Care & Hugs to you & your Partner who sounds just like mine :):blush02:

DD xxx

Thank you DD. DiabetesUk unfortunately couldn't really give any advice.

I will hav a look at the first link you gave. Yes, I am in the UK in the SW.

I had another binge yesterday, and hate myself for it.

• 7 months later...

There will be days where you're too week to say no, and will binge consume. It’s ok, forgive yourself. Don’t let the emotions of guild creep in. Don’t play the role of a perfectionist. You aren't ideal. Rather forgive yourself, and move on. If you let thoughts of guilt and frustration creep in, you might feel overwhelmed, stop trying, and binge eat some more.

Archived