Mental Health Forums

Frustrated Beyond Belief And Feeling Useless

b0bulat0r

So two weeks ago at work we started having a random problem, where Machines in V's Computer lab were randomly putting children on the staff internet filter (that let them get to youtube/facebook etc) which should be blocked for them.

This problem however started to spread, so that randomly (and by random I mean 5 machines in a room of 30 doing it one hour, then the next hour 4 machines doing it, but a different 4!!!!)

anyway it started to spread so that randomly Staff were getting the kids settings, kids and staff were both getting no settings (no internet) and kids and staff were both getting master proxy settings (that let them get on to anything) which ofc is dangerous in terms of kids being able to access inappropriate material.

Now also, all users are randomly getting permission to things that should be locked down, (like the ability to change desktop settings, control panel options etc) all of which should be invisible to them (and is to 80% of users) 20% now are displaying random anomalies.

each user should have a documents folder that points to H:\school\There name, some people are randomly getting other peoples folders or being told their folder doesn't exist.

I have spent AGES trying to resolve this issue and every time i find a theory as to what it might be, One of the Active directory servers, something wrong with group policy settings, something wrong with profiles, etc I find something that disproves it,

I had Paul from Partnership in yesterday to look at the problems and he spent the entire day looking at it and couldn't get anywhere, he is now the 4th person to look at this and get nowhere.

I am glad on the one hand that other people haven't been able to fix it quickly because it proves that this is a very advanced problem and that i've not just "missed something simple" or "done something stupid" but I'm getting a SHIT ton of complaints about the random errors and i feel powerless to do anything about it

I feel completely useless and that I shouldn't be doing my job because "i'm not good enough" I just don't know what else to try.

Paul is coming back this afternoon with TWO more guys from his company to try to sort it with me, How many engineers does it take to sort this problem? its going to quickly become a new lightbulb joke :P

so frustrated and feeling so stressed. This is why i didn't sleep again last night, just lay there for hours thinking about possibilities of what to try to fix this :S

its all such a mess.

That is a hideously stresful situation. there's nothing worse than, through no fault of your own, being the face that takes all the moaning and angsx caused by the problem. I don't really have any advice, but lots of sympathy. Do hold onto the thought/fact that it's not just you who can't fix it - if I understand it right this afternoon you'll be up to six or seven people who've tried! This is no reflection on your ability to do your job. Hope it gets sorted soon. Hugs.

Archived