Mental Health Forums

Binge Eating.

MrGreySky

So, I've been trying to be healthy for a while now, but it doesn't seem to be working at all.

I have the best intentions, and am always thinking about eating more healthily, except for when I step into a news agents or go for my lunch at work. I buy loads of rubbish without even thinking about it. And when I say loads, I mean LOADS.

I smoke, so will often pop over to the newsagents to pick up some cigarettes. I always come back with a few litres of fizzy juice, multi packs of crisps, loads of chocolate and some cakes. I eat it all within the space of about an hour or so, and then I sit there thinking "what did I just do?"

On a lunch break in town recently, I went to McDonalds. Not the healthiest in the first place, I'll admit, but I went because i had a voucher for a big mac and fries for £1.99. For that price, how could I resist. Except when i was ordering, I got 2 extra single cheese burgers. As I sat down I thought to myself about how I defeated the whole purpose of going with the voucher. I've basically bout a meal with 3 burgers instead of one burger and a drink. Needless to say, I ate them all. And felt horrible afterwards.

I always do this, and I never notice I'm doing it until it's too late. Does anyone else find themselves eating like this? and what do you do to try and stop it?

i wouldn't call it binge eating as your doing it on a day to day basis ..... i tend to over eat but i comfort eat as im getting the food im looking forward to it as im eating the food i feel free kind of like a pig wading around in muck, i feel content but this only lasts as long as the food lasts as soon as its gone i feel guilty of what i have put my body through once again ..... i feel sick from over eating plus i am a type to diabetic so yeah not good at all i have tried different things to help me ....like going shopping full up already stops me buying crap foods ....if i go to buy fags then i keep my eye on the prize fags and nothing else i go straight to the counter don't walk around shop....do a pack lunch with a treat in it not half a dozen naughty things just the one,cut down on fizzy juice they are full of sugar ... i used to have a thing for coca cola one liter bottle a day i swear down it was the main contribution in my becoming a diabetic ....

plus you could treat yourself to something you like doing as a reward for not buying a mac or two and sticking to a pack lunch is going to be less costly too ... now its nearing spring get a low sugar concentrated juice make it up each night in another bottle and pop it in the fridge lovery cool juice money saving and not as bad as a liter bottle of fizzy ...... i do understand though its all so tempting and i still do have very naughty slip ups so i know its not easy at all ..... i hope you don't feel like im being offensive at all and i hope my little tips help you out you can but try

hey jelly-bean.

Thanks for the response, and the tips. I don't eat like that every day, I probably should have made that more clear. Because I'm always mindful of trying to be healthy, when I'm paying attention I'm usually OK. But when I catch myself off-guard, I eat sooooo much food it's crazy. I mean like, whole packets of biscuits, multi-packs of crisps, tubs of ice cream. And almost always, it's all demolished straight away.

It's quite strange, but also really disheartening when I know I've been so good for a while. Just knowing that one absent minded binge has undone a week or so's work.

I know exactly how you feel. believe me, when I binge, I eat so far more than three burgers! That would just be starters. Once I start eating I just cannot stop. I am diabetic also, and have severe depression, plus have just started overcoming anorexia with bulimic tendencies. This makes me feel even worse after a binge,

I have been comfort eating for the last three days, and have eaten at least a weeks worth of food per day. :blush02:

I wish I could help you. Instead, I can just reassure you, you are not alone, and you are not bad. You need treats. You have not failed when going to Madonalds, more a blip. Move on and start afresh. A new day, back to healthy eating.

Good luck ;)

Hey.

I have the same problem at the moment, which is really distressing for me because I'm used to have such strong will power and being able to diet easily.

To get through things and over bad habits, usually I have to have a strong triggor - like a certain event or even just a strong thought. Would something like that work for you? For example, sometimes I have strong wake-up calls were I snap out of a bad state and realise what I've done (kind of like you realising how much food you've consumed - after you've ate it). Or I have a emotional thought such as 'i'm such a failure if I can't even control my own eating' .. though thinking like that can be quite upsetting too. Anyway, it doesn't have to be something like those examples, could even be a good memory or a person you're close to ...it may be possible to train your mind, in a sense, to think about that special memory everytime your about to consume too much food. If you can link that good memory to the fact you want to stop over-eating, then it could help you. But I don't know, it depends on the individual. Sorry if this message is a load of crap :)

Good luck, I'm still battling my current bad eating habits too. It is true, you are not alone x

Archived