Mental Health Forums

Walking On Eggshells

Dove

I have this book but haven't read it or given it to Jesse to read (a good friend is borrowing it right now :) ).

Tell me about the book. I've heard it's good but I want to hear if it's WONDERFUL or not. Something has got to be done for my marriage and I want to know if this book is worth the time it'll take both Jesse and me to read.

I have not read the whole book, however i spent a long time reading bits and pieces of it before i gave it to my ex-boyfriend. i think it depends on the person reading it. i do however think it has the potnetial to be a "WONDERFUL" book. My mother just read this book and she has such a sense of relief and deep understanding and empathy for what i go through now. she now feels comfortable with my moods and knows what to say to me. my ex on the other hand read it and said, "well, i knew it all really"....he is not open minded to much and my mother is very open minded. so i was afarid to give it to them at first, but realized anything that has hte potential to help them is worth a shot.

take care,

kristy

YES - it's WONDERFUL....

It had the same effect on ME as it did on LadyL's mom -

After reading and crying thru the book that so brilliantly explained to me the daily pain and struggles my husband (who shows signs but has not yet been diagnosed) goes thru - it gave me a much deeper love for him. I stopped feeling as if he was 'attacking' me unjustly. I stopped withdrawing into my survival mode when he raged and I was able to be there for him. Unfortunately, I got the book too late - he'd already dubbed us incompatible and hopeless and asked me for a divorce.

But, I do understand much better now - I ache for him, adore him more for his strengths, respect him more, have much more compassion and empathy for him.

It opened my eyes to so much and enabled me to switch my focus from what it was doing to ME, to what it is doing to HIM.

And now that I know so much more - I long so much more for him - to be his support - to be his rock when needed - with God guiding me.

But he says it's over and that's a daily struggle for me.

I don't even care any more what my needs are - I just want him to feel the love he's never felt - to feel the security he's never had - to feel the commitment he's never known.... I can't imagine what other woman in this world will be able to give that to him - but she better do her damned best!

I'm still expecting a miracle.... but I'm also preparing financially for the divorce that he says is inevitable *tears*.

The book is brilliantly written. Your husband must read it with an open mind and a desire to help you by understanding you as much as possible.

Two other wonderful - WONDERFUL books that I feel EVERY couple should read:

Gary Chapman's THE FIVE LOVE LANGUAGES

Florence Littauer's PERSONALITY PLUS FOR COUPLES

If you and your spouse know each other's love languages, you can speak their needs and make them feel so incredibly special and in love, they will never turn away from you.

If you understand your spouse's personality - you can except all those crazy quirks that you don't understand why they do them and that irritate the living crap out of you! LOL

And, as a perk, Yours Truly is actually featured in the Personality book *grin*.

I met the author at my church, read one of her books, wroter her a 20 page letter in true 'sanguine' form and she put my stories in the book mentioned above.

I had no idea until I bought it - seeing that she had a new book out...

I turned right to the 'SANGUINE' chapter b/c it's the most fun personality and the most fun to read about and low and behold, the first word in the chapter was 'ALANA'...

I thought - "Cool!!! an Alana Sanguine and she spells it like me!"

Then I began reading and slammed the book shut - freaked out - called my husband (then boyfriend) - crying out of fear and shock - hung up, read some more - slammed it shut a few more times and finally let it sink in.

I felt honored that she used my stories to help other sanguines out there - it's an awesome book and highly recommended!!!

Ok, I'm finished boasting *wink* :wub::P

By the way BETSY.... where WAS my last night's post moved to =0)

I'm sorry for the pitty party and for posting it wrongly - I didn't know where else you'd see it.

*hugs*

Archived