Mental Health Forums

Help My Hair Is Falling Out! Should I Go To Doctors?

rufusmoo

Hi there,

As the title suggests my hair is just dropping out in droves, I'm so often dizzy when I stand up, get confused and loose my memory easily, I have cramp in my arms and legs a lot and I guess I don't eat enough really; maybe 500 calories a day.

My CPN wants me to go to my GP and mention my hair falling out and all the other things. She thinks I should have blood tests done. I have made an appointment but I think I might cancel it as I'm afraid to admit I might have a bad eating problem and they might just tell me it's my own fault and to eat more.

Has anybody else had their hair drop out? Has anybody come clean to their GP and had a range of tests?

I think I might cancel it.

Rufusmoo

I would personally go to the appointment, explain everything to GP and ask for full blood work including Vitamin and Mineral deficiencies.

Hope you figure out what's going on.

Aurora :)

Hi

I would keep your appointment hun and get some blood tests done, Are you on meds?It could even be them.

I was losing my hair at one point and I had bloods done,mine come back that I had underactive thyroid. Good luck.xxx

Hi Ruffusmoo, I had an incident not so long ago when precisely that happened, it was coming out i lumps. I'm pretty sure that it was my medication. I was on Epival quite a high dose I convinced my psych to lower the dose and since then my hair has started to grow back. I have really fine hair anyway. It was devastating and I feel for what you are going through. It could be med related but it could be related to calorie restiction too I guess. My gp wasn't v helpful he just suggest that I take a multivitamin. The hairdresser suggested i try something called something like Nioxim appparently alot of cancer patients use it. Hope it gets sorted for you. I think blood test is good idea it may help you get to the bottom of things.

Hey Rufusmoo,

I've had several periods of time where my hair has fallen out.

It can be caused by a number of things - stress and poor diet are common causes, along with hormone changes.

I went to my GP about it, had some bloodwork done, and they just showed nothing abnormal other than low iron levels.

He did ask me about my diet, and i explained that I was in the early stages of recovery from an eating disorder, and i was told that EDs can affect hair growth and can cause hair loss.

Once I got to a more healthy weight - which was hard work! - and started eating more healthily, i noticed a big improvement, though I do still have a few patches here and there where the hair doesn't seem to grow back as thick as it was.

I was told that i have allopecia (can't spell it, sorry) too, which was caused by stress... I was very unwell for a long period of time, and it played havoc with my body in several ways. I've also got an underactive thyroid, which causes hair loss. This is managed really well, though, by a simple small tablet.

I would suggest going to your GP about it if you're experiencing hair loss, they should be sympathetic and understanding, and will hopefully give you some answers, and some support with this, and perhaps the eating issues too, as it sounds like you might need it.

They won't tell you it is your own fault, I couldn't imagine them being harsh, I know most everyone i spoke to about my eating problems were bending over backwards to get me support and help me get into recovery. The bottom line is that consuming only aound 500 cals a day is massively damaging to yourself, and can cause alsorts of problems - hair loss being the least of the concerns, to tell you the truth, and I think that this GP appt could be a real life-saver for you, as the sooner you get help, the less likely you are to experience other awful complications that come with being so under-nourished, some of which can be fatal :(

I don't wish to scare you, I know you're probably aware of the risks you are taking, and you're far from alone in taking those risks either - i have been there myself for a lot of years, and will no doubt relapse and end up there again in the future, but it is an illness, and you need some help and support to get you through it and recovered from it.

xx

Thanks for your replies,

I probably should keep it because I suddenly stopped taking my medication on a whim (fluoxatine 60mg) and olanzapine 5mg and my CPN says I'm basically starving myself-I disagree, I just don't eat much.

I can cope with all the other side effects but just not loosing my lovely long hair.

My GP is a nice chap and has known me for years. It's just that being honest bit because I do some pretty shitty stuff to loose weight and it's hard to admit you have a problem.

Cheers guys

Rufusmoo

it's prob falling out cos u r malnourished. u say that "CPN says I'm basically starving myself-I disagree, I just don't eat much." but also that " I do some pretty shitty stuff to loose weight". sounds like you are in denial but are starting to think that maybe it is a problem. acceptance is the 1st step. if you are ready to get help for your eating disorder then good luck & i wish you all the best x

My GP is a nice chap and has known me for years. It's just that being honest bit because I do some pretty shitty stuff to loose weight and it's hard to admit you have a problem.

Cheers guys

Rufusmoo

I can't really add any more, Snoozysuzy's post kind of sums it up.

BUT

You have admitted here that there is a problem and admitting it is a major first hurdle you have just over come.

Any chance you could copy & print off your posts and just hand them to your GP, as your passing them across tell him just how hard it is to do and that you really need his help.

Not quite as direct as saying it out loud but at least he'll know :)

Hope you get some help with it I know from experiance it isn't easy not all GPs are good at understanding but until you make that move you never know.

Take Care

DD xxx

I am now starting recovery from anorexia. The lack of food and relevant nutrients caused my hair to start falling out by the handful. if you increase your food intake, you will reverse this problem. Easier said than done I know. Failing that a good vitamin/mineral supplement may help.

Get some blood tests done though, they could show up something specific that can be treated precisely.

good luck.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that my bloods came back normal so I am still non the wiser and my hair is still dropping out.

I think I'm going to go back to my GP and discuss it further. I think I need to be more honest about my ED.

Thanks for your replies.

REALITY CHECK!!!!!

if u exist on 500 cals per day then that is why your hair is falling out.

the sooner u r honest with your gp the better as eating disorder therapy has a massive waiting list in a lot of areas, and you said in another post it is causing probs with your husb.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived