Mental Health Forums

Emotional Over Fiction: Normal Or Completely Stupid?

b0bulat0r

*WARNING* This post contains spoilers over the Mass Effect Series of games, if your currently playing the new one and don't want to know what happens don't read anymore of this*

I'm wondering if anyone else has ever gotten emotional over works of fiction.

it Seems completely silly to me, The logical part of my brain says, None of it is real, therefore why should it affect you? Why does it matter or impact you at all, its just a work of Fiction!!!.

Yesterday I was playing Mass effect 3,

as Mordin Solus Died I shouted out MORDIN NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! and then proceeded to cry for about 10 minutes, I felt a great impact at his death, And whilst he was a friend to my character (my version of shepherd) I couldn't help but feel he was a friend to me, even though he wasn't real, I connected to him and related to him and I felt that strongly when he died,

(although I felt NOTHING when Alenko died in number 1)

about 30-40 minutes later and with much more progress into the story I Watched Thane Krios Die, Another character who was a close friend to my shep, I felt the same level of grief and loss as when Mordin Died and I cried again,

I thought about everything they went through in ME2 and the fact that everyone survived the suicide mission just to die now!!, I kept thinking about "who else that I care about are they going to kill off!, Who else Am I going to lose to this war"

When I calmed down later on, I felt incredibly stupid, I realized just how emotional I was getting over a work of fiction, and It makes me feel completely stupid,

Is this normal? I mean my sister cried at several points in Harry Potter when some of the characters died!,

Does crying over fiction simply mean that the story is good? and that its effective because you've related to it and actually seen the characters as if they could be real,

or does this just mean that i'm an over sensitive emotional idiot who has just proven yet again why he has mental problems.

:(

hi bob, i guess ur just showing ur emotions. Diffrent things can trigger emotion regardless fact or fiction.

By the way to me its normal xx

completely normal and indeed the sign of a good author

and that is coming both from me and from a lot of other people who belong to the same book forums that i do !

Shows how sensitive and sweet you are too :) Real or not they are characters and made alive so can provoke emotion.

Sometimes I imagine scenarios when I try to sleep and I get so involved in it I end up sobbing and think what the hell am I doing, it's not even a real life story! Human reaction I think x

Hi Rob,

I think it's a completely normal reaction and incidentally I think it's supposed to be an aim of of any author be it of a game,book, screenplay or film to "emotionally engage" with the reader/player/audience.

I remember an interview with Peter Jackson - director of the Lord of The Rings trilogy saying he wanted to emotionally engage with the audience in "The Return of The King" - erm........ I think he managed it, I cried buckets at the cinema and there were so many others coming out with red eyes too.

Crystal

x

I think this is ok - I don't know if everyone does it but not everyone watches Eastenders do they? :)

I cried throughout the Harry Potter books (no jokes here please! :P ). Every time someone died I cried. WHY did JK have to kill them?!

When the series came to an end I was devastated. I was REALLY happy to know the end and that good overcame evil but I lost my best friends. I cried like a baby when I finished the final book. Then I picked up the first one again and started again.

Years on and I have been listening to Harry Potter audio books every single night for almost 4 years :blink:

I think if an author can make you feel any strong emotion then it's good shit :D

I think it's totally normal, even for people without mental health problems - people go to see "weepy" movies specifically to cry!

Computer games for me are somehow more involved sometimes, maybe because you're in control. I don't know if you've ever played Bioshock, but you have the option to kill some of the characters who are little girls. There is just no way I could ever do it, I know it's illogical, but I can't! My boyfriend, who is really sane and who very rarely cries, said he felt horrible when he killed one and never did it again!

I used to cry all the time at films and books, not so much now because I feel a bit flat these days. But on Eastenders when Stacey got taken away to the mental hospital, I wept for bloody ages.

So I think it's normal to have an emotional response to literature/films/games.

I think its normal. its common to cry over books and especialy tv/flms (tho I dont think its abnormal not to). computer games tell a story just as much as books and films do and like Esme says computer games are even more involving in some ways because you are part of the story

I play a football game online and the chairman expects me to win the league, i can't see myself finishing higher than 2nd. I feel so bad for the chairman and the players who are working really hard for me and playing brilliantly. it only really bothers me when i'm logged into the site and theres no real interaction with the players (tho i often pretend there is, i usually pick one to be my boyfriend and if any player plays unsportingly they get the hairdryer treatment and i'm sad when players get injured) but the feelings can be quite intense.

Ofc none of this makes sense unless you've played ME2 and build up a rapport with the characters and come to know them as friends, squadmates and part of your team interacting with them and making choices on the mission turns out, (and the fact that both Mordin and Thane survived the "suicide" mission in ME2 under my leadership.

but this is the first bit that made me cry.

The song mordin sings as he dies is the song he sings in ME2, an adaption of the Gilbert and Sullivan's modern major general song

I am the very model of a scientist Salarian!

I've studied species, Turian, Asari, and Batarian.

I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology),

because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).

My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian -

I am the very model of a scientist Salarian!

i've read that its possible to stop mordin dying by killing wrex and eve, sabotaging the cure and thus dooming the entire krogan species to extinction, :S something which I couldn't bring myself to do even to save his life

and this is the second. (Has ALOT less impact without seeing him actually get stabbed by Kai Leng)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx5-shpFe98

Yes They are Aliens :P but that doesn't mean I connect to them any less than human characters (infact sometimes I do more :P)

Archived