Mental Health Forums

I Hate Barbie!

lou99

someone gave me a barbie for my little girl, i put it away for her birthday next month & didn't give it much thought til i saw it in the cupboard yesterday evening. i feel stupid but it really triggered me! she is so skinny & her arms & legs are really thin & all i could think was i want her body i need to diet. now i really don't want to give it to my daughter because a) i don't want to have to see the skinny bitch everyday and B) i think she is a really bad model of what a woman should look like, i so don't want my daughter to end up with an eating disorder. but all her friends have barbie dolls & she does like playing with them so i can't ban barbies from her life much as i would like to. so do i bin the barbie so at least there isn't one at our house??!!

Hard question.......

Wanted to tell you something else,theyve done studies,to look like Barbie a woman would have to have only two ribs. Also she'd fall over as the body breast ratio is abnormal. There was more but thats what I remember.

Difficult decision for you to make

Barbie can be a bad role model for young girls but at the same time Barbie is so popular and hard to avoid.

I don't know how old your daughter is, but I don't think children think about these things too much until puberty and they go through the body changes, then this sort of thing of "why don't i look like her" "am i not pretty" comes into play. normally by which time they have outgrown them?? maybe/hopefully

I think most people realize that barbie is an unrealistic look anyway, its about time they changed her to a much more realistic model.

I'd also like to add that from a males perspective, that stick thin girls are not attractive (I really don't like it when you can see ribs hanging out cause theres litterally no meat to a person). Granted someone who is very obese also is not attractive but if someone strays from that "middle range" as we inevitable do, I'd say its better to add a little more weight which makes people "cuddly" and theres alot of girls who are slightly overweight who are very very attractive, but thats just my two cents.

:)

Only small girls play with barbies here 5-6 after that kids move on. I don't really think a child that age cares much about the dimensions of Barbie, I never did. I also was not allowed to have them.

If you don't want one in your house, just tell her she can play them at her friends. That's what my parents did, no toy weapons, no barbies, lol.

So many things now it is a different world. I had a Cindy doll as I cut her hair she wasn't much of a looker! I agree with others that I don't think your daughter would be harmed by having a Barbie doll but it is your home and if it upsets you then you could maybe give the Barbie to a charity shop, buy your daughter another gift and do as Sahara Blue said.

Bin it. She does not know about it, so won't miss it. If it is likely to upset you, start you off on a diet you should not be on, etc, then for once, think of yourself. She may not think about the dimensions, but kids as young as five are becoming affected by eating disorders.

Put your mind at rest, and buy her something else.

Many many years ago, as a 4 year old, I had a Brat day, a realistic shaped doll. Are cabbage Patch dolls still popular?

ha cabbage catch dolls were ace!

right, barbie is for it. i would just look at her everyday & feel fat & crap, & it's not worth it!!!

hmmmmm, what's the best way to kill a barbie?!

I think barbie is ugly anyhow. never did think much of the Cabbage Patch dolls, but they were popular!

Kill Barbie - Kill barbie - Kill Barbie -*snigger* this has made me smile for a moment, very unusual these days, so thanks for your thread!

Wonder if I can locate an old Brat Doll...saunters of to ebay...

dear barbie, i hate u. I hate your body, your skinny arms & legs, your tiny waist. Your proportions r unreal and u make women feel inadequate and worthless when it is you who r wrong. Anyone who looked like u would be ill. I hope u become ostracised and hated and seen for what u are, a ridiculous stupid thin ill sick piece of plastic. U will never be welcome in my house, i hate you.

Barbie is an inappropriate toy for young children because children often emulate their toys.There is a correlation with the unattainable figure that Barbie projects and eating disorders. Mattel is advertising Barbie as a great doll and role model for young children. Her lifestyle and characteristics are unattainable and actually promote an unhealthy lifestyle. x

Whilst I understand why some of you might think of a doll as an innapropriate role model for your children, I would question, why individually you have not broached the image and it's connotations with your own children, after all, aren't parents supposed to be the real role models?

Archived