Mental Health Forums

I Hate Barbie!

lou99

cos my daughter will be 2 so we wouldn't get very far having a debate on role models. it's having it drummed into them from such a young age that i am worried about

Whilst I understand why some of you might think of a doll as an innapropriate role model for your children, I would question, why individually you have not broached the image and it's connotations with your own children, after all, aren't parents supposed to be the real role models?

I agree in part but the whole world is on our backs as little girls and Barbie is the just a piece of this horrible stereotype that we should be blonde tiny waist and lager then life bazookas.

Here's something you may find helpful. When I was 15, I was in a self esteem building group with my school (I was one of the troubled kids who needed it) and we actually measured a barbie and then figured out the proportions if she were human sized. She'd be over 7 feet tall, and her boobs would be so big that she wouldn't be able to stand up straight or else her back would break. Her neck was also REALLY long or something like that, and her legs wouldn't be able to move properly so she'd have to crawl on all fours to move. I forget what the exact measurements were, but there are lots of results like this on the internet if you look for it. Just google "if barbie were real"

Archived